NZ PM apologises to Dotcom for spy bungle

Sep 27, 2012
Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom leaves court after he was granted bail in Auckland in February 2012. New Zealand Prime Minister John Key has apologised to Kim Dotcom over an "unacceptable" bungle by government spies leading up to his arrest.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key apologised Thursday to Internet tycoon Kim Dotcom over an "unacceptable" bungle by government spies leading up to the arrest of the Megaupload boss.

Key also ordered agents from the Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB) to review their cases over the past three years to check whether there were other instances of communications being intercepted unlawfully.

The came as a report into the illegal monitoring of blamed the agents for not being aware of New Zealand and relying on erroneous information from the police.

"I'm pretty appalled by what I've seen. The organisation should be able to get this right," Key told reporters.

"Of course I apologise to Mr Dotcom. I apologise to New Zealand."

The GCSB, which is forbidden from spying on New Zealanders or permanent residents, had been asked by the police last year to monitor Dotcom who is wanted in the United States on charges.

When they questioned the police if they could legally monitor Dotcom, the report said they were assured they could even though the German national held a New Zealand residence visa at the time.

"If things had been done properly it would have been quite clear (Dotcom) was protected," Key said.

"It is quite a basic error. They have failed at the lowest hurdle. It's quite frankly not good enough."

Key had ordered the report into the spying debacle after it was learned the DCSB had unlawfully intercepted communications for a month in the lead up to Dotcom's arrest in January.

"It is the GCSB's responsibility to act within the law, and it is hugely disappointing that in this case its actions fell outside the law," Key said.

"I am personally very disappointed that the agency failed to fully understand the workings of its own legislation."

Key said he had sought an assurance that there were no other cases of communications being intercepted unlawfully and "the GCSB will be reviewing past cases back to 2009".

Dotcom is fighting extradition to the United States where the US Justice Department and FBI claim Megaupload and related sites netted more than $175 million in criminal proceeds.

The also claim the 38-year-old, who legally changed his name from Kim Schmitz, had cost copyright owners more than $500 million by offering pirated copies of movies, TV shows and other content.

Explore further: Amazon launches 3D printing store

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Megaupload boss to appeal for bail in New Zealand

Feb 02, 2012

Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom will appeal Friday against a ruling that kept him behind bars in New Zealand while US officials seek his extradition for alleged copyright piracy, his lawyers said.

Two Megaupload accused granted bail in New Zealand

Jan 26, 2012

Two of Kim Dotcom's co-accused were granted bail in New Zealand Thursday, a day after the Megaupload boss was ordered to remain behind bars pending US attempts to extradite him for copyright piracy.

Megaupload N. Zealand extradition case delayed

Jul 10, 2012

Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom's extradition case against US authorities has been delayed until next year amid legal wrangling in New Zealand over evidence disclosure, his lawyers said Tuesday.

Megaupload boss wins right to see US evidence

Aug 16, 2012

The boss of file-sharing site Megaupload has the right to see US evidence against him so he can defend a bid to extradite him from New Zealand on online piracy charges, an Auckland court ruled Thursday.

Megaupload boss allowed $49,000 monthly expenses

Mar 22, 2012

A New Zealand court granted Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom NZ$60,000 ($49,000) a month in living expenses Thursday as he awaits a US bid to extradite him on online piracy charges, reports said.

Recommended for you

Amazon launches 3D printing store

6 hours ago

Amazon announced Monday the launch of an online store for 3D printed items to allow consumers to customize and personalize items like earrings, pendants, dolls and other objects.

Samsung delays Tizen smartphone sales launch

11 hours ago

Samsung Electronics said Monday it would postpone the roll-out of its new smartphone based on Tizen, a home-grown operating system aimed at breaking away from Google's Android system.

Chinese portal Sohu reports $45 million loss

13 hours ago

(AP)—Sohu.com Inc., operator of a popular Chinese Internet portal, said Monday it lost $45 million in the latest quarter while revenue rose 18 percent to $400 million.

User comments : 0