Earthquake swarm puts California town on edge

August 27, 2012

(AP)—Aftershocks continue to shake the Southern California desert a day after moderate earthquakes knocked farming town trailer homes off foundations and shattered windows in a swarm that scientists say could last for days.

There are no injuries.

The largest quake centered near Brawley was at a -5.5 at 1:57 p.m. Sunday and it was widely felt from San Diego to Arizona. About 90 minutes earlier, a magnitude-5.3 quake shook the region.

By dawn Monday, the U.S. Geological Survey website shows there have been dozens of in Imperial County, the largest a magniutude-4.9 at 9:41 p.m. Sunday. There was also a 3.0 at 12:32 a.m. Monday.

There was cosmetic damage to several 1930s buildings in downtown Brawley and 20 mobile homes were knocked off their and deemed uninhabitable.

Explore further: 10,000 aftershocks follow Italy quake


Related Stories

10,000 aftershocks follow Italy quake

April 13, 2009

Scientists have detected 10,000 aftershocks since last week's earthquake in Italy of which around 1,000 could be felt, a top expert said on Monday, warning that the tremors will probably get stronger.

High aftershock risk for Haiti in next 30 days: USGS

January 22, 2010

Earthquake-hit Haiti faces a high risk of possibly damaging aftershocks for at least 30 days and is set to suffer further tremors for months or even years to come, the US Geological Survey said Friday.

Magnitude-6.2 earthquake shakes northern Chile

March 7, 2011

(AP) -- A magnitude-6.2 earthquake on Sunday shook a northern region of Chile that has felt several frightening but inconsequential tremors in recent days. No injuries and only minor damage were reported.

Series of earthquakes rattle Southern California

August 27, 2012

(AP)—Dozens of small to moderate earthquakes struck southeastern California on Sunday, knocking trailer homes off their foundations, shattering windows and rattling nerves in a small farming town east of San Diego.

Recommended for you

Amazon deforestation leaps 16 percent in 2015

November 28, 2015

Illegal logging and clearing of Brazil's Amazon rainforest increased 16 percent in the last year, the government said, in a setback to the aim of stopping destruction of the world's greatest forest by 2030.


Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.