Sony plays up Vita and blockbuster videogames

Jun 05, 2012
Ubisoft presents Assassin's Creed 3 during the Ubisoft's media briefing at the E3 2012 in Los Angeles, California, on June 4, 2012. The Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), the video game industry's biggest event, runs from June 5-7 in Los Angeles.

Sony shook off its financial woes as it played up its Vita handheld gaming devices and heart-pounding titles for its PlayStation 3 videogame consoles.

Sony Computer Entertainment America president Jack Tretton humbly thanked videogame lovers for remaining devoted to and the Japanese entertainment titan's lineup of gadgets, games, films and music.

"This is the Super Bowl for those of us who live and die in the ," Tretton said of the E3 extravaganza that officially starts in Los Angeles on Tuesday.

Sony showed off coming blockbuster videogames including a new title, "The Last of Us," by the Naughty Dog studio behind the winning "Uncharted" franchise, a riveting new installment of which was also featured at the event.

Sony focused heavily on its Vita, demonstrating how games were being adapted to let players switch between the handheld devices and PS3 consoles without losing continuity.

Tretton also played up the potential to use Vita as a second-screen for PS3 games, indicating that Sony was putting its own spin on Microsoft letting tablets sync to and Nintendo-made tablet controllers the centerpieces of its new-generation U GamePad consoles.

"It gives each player their own in-game controls and perspectives," Tretton said of Vita.

French videogame powerhouse Ubisoft tailored a version of its winning "Assassin's Creed" line-up just for the Vita, introducing the first female main character in the franchise and tapping into the handheld devices capabilities.

Sony will release a special "Assassin's Creed: Liberation" bundle, packaging a first-ever white Vita with the videogame when it is released in October.

The beloved "Call of Duty" military shooter franchise is also heading to Vita, according to Tretton.

In April, Sony said it would cut about 10,000 jobs and spend nearly $1 billion on an overhaul that its new chief executive Kazuo Hirai described as "urgent."

Sony has vowed it will swing back into the black as it embarks on the restructuring plan. The firm now forecasts a net profit of 30 billion yen in the current fiscal year to March 2013 on sales of 7.4 trillion yen.

Sony shares tumbled below 1,000 yen Monday for the first time since 1980 and the era of the Walkman, sending the value of the company crashing to less than a tenth of what it was just over a decade ago.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

PlayStation Vita game gadgets debut outside Asia

Feb 22, 2012

Sony's slick PlayStation Vita handheld videogame gadget hit major markets around the world on Wednesday as the Japanese entertainment titan bucked a trend towards play on smartphones.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

15 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

20 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

21 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.