Google will allow Motorola Mobility its own space

Jun 22, 2012
A model from Motorola Mobility Japan shows off the company's new smartphone, 'Motorola Razr' in March 2012. Google intends to allow its newly acquired Motorola Mobility to keep its autonomy as it battles in the hotly contested smartphone market, executives said Thursday.

Google intends to allow its newly acquired Motorola Mobility to keep its autonomy as it battles in the hotly contested smartphone market, executives said Thursday.

Google chief finance officer Patrick Pichette told the company's annual shareholder meeting that there is unlikely to be a integration of the mobile products firm.

"It's important it stays on its own battlefield," he said. "We are not integrating Motorola with , we're making sure it has everything it needs to win in its own space. You shouldn't expect a full integration of the two companies."

He added that the mobile products firm has "fantastic assets that need to be reset, reprioritized... and in that context think of Google in a way taking Motorola private."

Google chairman Eric Schmidt said of the deal: "We bought Motorola for the sum of the patents, the products, the people, the innovation."

Google completed the $12.9 billion deal last month for Motorola Mobility, a key manufacturer of smartphones and other devices that puts the in head-to-head competition with Apple.

The completion of the deal dubbed "Googorola" follows approval by Chinese, US and European regulators, amid concerns on restrictions for Android, a Google-created free operating system for mobile devices.

Conditions from China's Ministry of Commerce included Google keeping its Android software for smartphones and free and open for at least five years.

Regulators in the United States and elsewhere have stressed that they will be watching to make sure that the Mountain View, California-based company does not use Motorola Mobility to obtain an unfair advantage in the market.

Google acquires 17,000 patents with the purchase of Motorola Mobility and has been strengthening its in the fight for dominance in the booming smartphone and .

Motorola Mobility was created in 2011 when US-based . split the company into a mobile devices unit on the one hand, and a government and public safety division known as Motorola Solutions on the other.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Google completes takeover of Motorola Mobility

May 22, 2012

Google closed Tuesday its $12.5 billion deal for Motorola Mobility, a key manufacturer of smartphones and other devices that puts the Internet giant in head-to-head competition with Apple.

Google gets China OK for Motorola deal

May 19, 2012

(AP) -- Authorities in China have approved Google Inc.'s bid to buy phone maker Motorola Mobility, clearing the way for the $12.5 billion deal to close early next week.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

15 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

20 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

21 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.