Yahoo kills 'Livestand' just 6 months after debut

May 25, 2012

(AP) -- Yahoo is killing a tablet magazine called Livestand just six months its debut on the iPad.

The decision announced Friday is part of the struggling Internet company's latest turnaround effort.

Last month, Yahoo Inc. told analysts it would close or combine about 50 services that haven't been performing up to expectations.

That housecleaning was laid out by a CEO, , who stepped down earlier this month amid a flap over incorrect information on his bio. Yahoo interim CEO Ross Levinsohn hasn't said whether the company still plans to dump as many services as Thompson intended.

Livestand featured software that could be customized to pull content from Yahoo's own website, and other digital publishers to cater to each user's tastes.

It was similar to Flipboard, a more popular tablet magazine.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Yahoo! ditches digital newsstand for iPads

May 25, 2012

Yahoo! shuttered its fledgling digital newsstand for iPads on Friday in what it said was the start of a product purge intended to make the floundering Internet pioneer more nimble.

Yahoo! joins tablet craze with digital newsstand

Feb 10, 2011

Yahoo! is building a digital newsstand called "Livestand" that will turn tablet computers into personalized magazines rich with stories, images and video suited to individual tastes.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

1 hour ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

23 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 1

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

Vendicar_Decarian
1 / 5 (1) May 25, 2012
Because Business decisions are maximally optimal according to my Libertarian "Friends".

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.