Sony, Panasonic eye next generation TV tie up

May 15, 2012
A Sony employee is seen gazing at a prototype of an organic electroluminescence (OEL) display panel in Tokyo, in 2001. Sony and Panasonic are in talks on a partnership to produce large OEL televisions in a bid to vie with their South Korean rivals, according to a report.

Japan's cash-bleeding electronics giants Sony and Panasonic are looking to join forces to produce next generation televisions in a bid to claw back market from South Korean rivals, according to a report.

The firms want to speed up the development of large-screen organic electroluminescence (OEL) televisions, which consume less power and offer a sharper picture than conventional flat panels, the Nikkei daily said on Tuesday.

OEL is widely expected to be the dominant technology in the next generation of televisions.

Both companies are aiming to commercialise OEL TVs by fiscal 2015, and their tie-up could eventually lead to joint production, the report said, without citing sources.

The partnership would mark the first time that the two firms have joined hands in a core business, in a major turning point for the struggling Japanese electronics industry.

South Korean firms . and . plan to release 55-inch OEL TVs this year, the Nikkei said.

Sony and Panasonic hope to devise a low-cost, high-yield manufacturing technique by bringing their technologies together, the Nikkei said.

Neither company was prepared to comment on the Nikkei report.

"The company will continue research on OEL technology based on what it has developed on its own," said Panasonic in a statement.

"Nothing has been decided at this point about research into a business plan."

A Sony spokesman also refused to comment.

Sony and Panasonic suffered a combined $15.4 billion loss in the year to March as falling sales and intensifying competition hit them hard.

Panasonic president Fumio Ohtsubo, who had previously announced he would step down, conceded last week that the firm's earlier strategy was off the mark.

"We had invested a huge amount in 2006 and 2008 in the panel and TV businesses, but many changes occurred", Ohtsubo told a news briefing in Tokyo.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Japan electronic giants eye chip merger: reports

Feb 08, 2012

Three of Japan's biggest electronics companies are to join forces in a chip-making venture, according to reports, days after a swathe of dire results from a sector struggling to compete globally.

Sony quits organic-screen TV business

Jan 09, 2012

Sony Corp. has discontinued production of TV sets with organic electroluminescence (EL) display panels, widely seen as the mainstream panel to be used in next-generation flat-screen TVs, it was learned Saturday.

Sony, Panasonic, Samsung in 3D glasses deal

Aug 09, 2011

Japan's Sony and Panasonic and South Korea's Samsung Electronics said Tuesday they will jointly develop new standards for glasses used to watch 3D images on television, computer and movie screens.

Sony to axe 10,000 jobs worldwide: report

Apr 09, 2012

Sony will cut 10,000 jobs worldwide this year as it attempts to carry out sweeping reforms aimed at reviving the iconic but loss-making Japanese electronics giant, the Nikkei business daily said Monday.

Sony, Samsung dissolve panel joint venture

Dec 26, 2011

Japan's Sony and South Korean rival Samsung are dissolving their joint venture in liquid crystal display panels as Sony tries to stanch years of losses in its TV business.

Sony more than doubles net loss forecast to $6.4 bn

Apr 10, 2012

Japan's Sony on Tuesday said it would book a net loss of about $6.4 billion in the year to March, more than double its previous forecast amid sweeping changes at the struggling electronics giant.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

1 hour ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

6 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

7 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

21 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.