News aggregator Ongo to shut down

May 08, 2012
A copy of USA Today is displayed in a newspaper vending rack in 2009. Online news service Ongo, which launched last year as a paid "aggregator" for various newspapers, said Tuesday it would close down by the end of the month.

Online news service Ongo, which launched last year as a paid "aggregator" for various newspapers, said Tuesday it would close down by the end of the month.

"We're in the process of formally winding down the business," chief executive Dan Haarmann told AFP, noting that the company was unable to raise additional funds to continue operations.

"I'm sad to see it go. We've learned a ton and had a wonderful experience and wish the market timing was different."

Ongo, which was launched in January 2011 with backing from USA Today, The New York Times and The , had access to more than 100 publications by the end.

But Haarmann said the timing was not right, with free news still widely available and a small number of publications launching "paywalls," or subscriptions for online access.

Ongo was launched with a basic subscription cost of $6.99 a month which gave a user , The Washington Post, 20 articles a day from The , as well as stories from Britain's , the Associated Press, and Reuters. The price was later cut to $1.99.

Haarmann said he still believes there may be a market for a paid aggregator, which delivers news without advertising, and can make it easier to access news from various paid news organizations in one place -- but that the time is not right.

"What we're suffering from is there is still a lot of great, free content out there," he said.

That includes sites such as and Yahoo! which provide free news. Ongo also faced tough competition from news sites offering free or paid apps for tablets or smartphones.

"We built the business but we didn't gain traction early enough so the scale from a subscription point of view was not enough to support the business," Haarmann said.

He said he does not expect a bankruptcy filing.

"We're solvent, and will continue to work with our partners," he said. "I'm confident there won't be any and that we will wind down gracefully."

Explore further: Online piracy thrives in Internet cloud: study (Update)

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Ongo seeking full NY Times, adding partners

Mar 23, 2011

Online news service Ongo is hoping to provide its subscribers with full access to The New York Times and expanding its lineup of contributors, Ongo chief executive Alex Kazim said Wednesday.

NY Post blocks website access for iPad users

Jun 20, 2011

The New York Post has blocked access to its website from the iPad's Safari Web browser in a bid to drive users of Apple's tablet computer to the newspaper's paid application.

Recommended for you

Facebook dressed down over 'real names' policy

20 hours ago

Facebook says it temporarily restored hundreds of deleted profiles of self-described drag queens and others, but declined to change a policy requiring account holders to use their real names rather than drag names such as ...

Yelp to pay US fine for child privacy violation

Sep 17, 2014

Online ratings operator Yelp agreed to pay $450,000 to settle US charges that it illegally collected data on children, in violation of privacy laws, officials said Wednesday.

User comments : 0