Anonymous targets Montreal Grand Prix to back students

May 30, 2012
File photo of the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal in 2011 during the Canadian Formula One Grand Prix race. The global group of computer hackers known as Anonymous threw its support behind Quebec students protesting hikes in tuition fees by threatening to disrupt the Montreal Grand Prix.

The global group of computer hackers known as Anonymous threw its support behind Quebec students protesting hikes in tuition fees by threatening to disrupt the Montreal Grand Prix.

The activists, who earlier this month claimed responsibility for downing a dozen Quebec , blasted organizers for intending to run the race in the Canadian province that recently passed an emergency law restricting protests.

Special Law 78, it said, has been "universally condemned by human rights watchers around the world as tyrannical, draconian -- and (has left) Quebec in clear violation of its basic human rights obligations."

"Beginning on June 7th and running through race day on June 10th, Anonymous will take down all the F1 websites, dump the servers and databases -- and wreck anything else F1-related we can find on the Internet," said a statement.

Anonymous, which in 2010 targeted websites of companies such as Visa and Mastercard after they stopped supporting whistleblower , also warned race spectators not to purchase tickets online for the event or risk having their stolen and posted online for all to see.

The threats came as students and government representatives headed into a second day of talks to end protests that have raged here since mid-February over a plan by provincial Premier Jean Charest to raise rates at Quebec universities by 82 percent to rein in a .

Hundreds of demonstrators have been arrested and clashes have erupted sporadically as more than 165,000 students have refused to attend class as tens of thousands have taken to the streets.

A tentative deal was reached after marathon negotiations a month ago but soon fell apart, and nightly protests in Montreal and other cities resumed.

Special Law 78 was passed on May 18 in an effort to quell the unrest, but has only served to galvanize opposition to the government.

The measure requires organizers to give police at least eight hours advance warning of times and locations of protest marches, with hefty fines imposed for failing to do so.

Last week, some 1,000 protesters were detained in some of the biggest mass arrests in the province's history.

Meanwhile Tuesday, talks between students and the Quebec government aimed at ending the tuition fees protests appeared to be moving forward.

During a dinner break, Martine Desjardins, president of the Federation of University Students (FEUQ), said she and her colleagues had submitted offers to the government.

"We expect the government to get back to us tonight," Desjardins said without going into details. "It's clear the negotiations will continue tonight."

Photo illustration of a masked member of the hacker Anonymous group. Anonymous, which in 2010 targeted websites of companies such as Visa and Mastercard after they stopped supporting whistleblower Wikileaks, also warned spectators at the Montreal Grand Prix not to purchase tickets online for the event or risk having their credit card information stolen and posted online for all to see.

The discussions between Education Minister Michelle Courchesne and student leaders have been touted as a "last chance" to resolve the conflict before the start of summer festivals and other major tourist draws such as the Montreal Grand Prix.

Going into the session, one of the student leaders, Leo Bureau-Blouin, said he was expecting Courchesne to unveil a new proposal.

"The minister of education said she would present a new offer today. We're hoping that it's significant," Bureau-Blouin said.

Courchesne said she was "satisfied" that the talks were going well.

On Monday Premier Charest met with student leaders for the first time since the crisis erupted, joining the talks to hear their demands.

Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois, spokesman for the radical student group Classe, said this showed "that the government recognizes the extent of the crisis" and maybe "a certain sincerity on the part of the government in regards to the negotiations."

"The prime minister spent a half hour with us," said Desjardins, "but he did not have many answers to our questions."

Also Tuesday, Transportation Minister Norman MacMillan evoked the triggering of early legislative elections in July to end the stalemate if the government failed to reach a deal with the students soon.

"I would be a liar if I told you otherwise," he said in response to a reporter's question.

Explore further: Showing 'The Interview' is part of Google's long-term YouTube plan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Hackers target F1 websites over Bahrain GP

Apr 20, 2012

(AP) -- A hackers group has claimed responsibility for a denial-of-service attack on the official Formula One website in protest over the running of this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix.

Poland defends stance on treaty after web attacks

Jan 23, 2012

(AP) -- Polish officials vowed Monday to stick to plans to sign an international copyright treaty that has outraged Internet activists and prompted an attack on government websites.

Anonymous says it hacked Chinese government sites

Apr 05, 2012

(AP) -- China was struggling Thursday to restore several government websites that international hacking group Anonymous says it attacked in an apparent protest against Chinese Internet restrictions.

Spain nabs 3 suspected of global cyber attacks

Jun 10, 2011

(AP) -- Spanish police arrested three suspected computer hackers who allegedly belonged to a loose-knit international activist group that has attacked corporate and government websites around the world, authorities said ...

Israel denies cyber attack on defence websites

Nov 07, 2011

The websites of Israel's military, Mossad and the Shin Bet intelligence services were back online on Monday after being unavailable the previous day due to what officials said was a "server crash."

Recommended for you

N. Korea suffers another Internet shutdown

Dec 27, 2014

North Korea suffered an Internet shutdown for at least two hours on Saturday, Chinese state-media and cyber experts said, after Pyongyang blamed Washington for an online blackout earlier this week.

Streaming release of 'Interview' test for industry

Dec 25, 2014

Sony's "The Interview" has been a hacking target, a punchline and a political lightning rod. Now, with its release online at the same time it debuts in theaters, it has a new role: a test for a new kind of ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.