S. Korea's Hynix bids for Japan's Elpida

Mar 30, 2012

SK Hynix, the world's second largest microchip maker, said Friday it has submitted a preliminary bid for its struggling Japanese rival Elpida Memory.

SK Hynix said in a brief regulatory filing that a final decision on its bid would follow the completion of due diligence.

Elpida, which was once the world's third-largest maker of (DRAM) chips, filed for late February with crushing debts of $5.4 billion.

It was delisted from the Tokyo Stock Exchange Wednesday in the biggest corporate failure in Japan's manufacturing history.

The bid comes a month after South Korea's largest mobile carrier completed the acquisition of a controlling 21.1 percent stake Hynix for 3.34 trillion ($2.95 billion).

SK Telecom, which controls about half the country's mobile market, is a key affiliate of the SK Group, the country's third-largest conglomerate by assets.

The acquisition was part of SK Telecom's drive to diversify its business because of stagnant growth in the saturated domestic mobile market.

Creditors rescued Hynix by swapping their debt holdings into shares in 2001 and 2002.

Elpida was established in 1999 from a merger of the chip-making divisions of Japanese electronics giants NEC and Hitachi. But it fell victim to global market volatility when DRAM prices fell sharply in 2009, shrinking its earnings.

Explore further: As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

S. Korea's SK Telecom signs deal to buy Hynix

Nov 14, 2011

South Korea's top mobile carrier SK Telecom said Monday it signed a deal to buy a controlling stake in Hynix Semiconductor, the world's number two memory chip maker.

SK Telecom makes final bid for Hynix stake: report

Nov 10, 2011

South Korea's top mobile carrier SK Telecom has submitted a final bid to buy a controlling stake in Hynix Semiconductor, the world's second-largest memory chip maker, a report said Thursday.

SK Telecom named as preferred bidder for Hynix

Nov 11, 2011

South Korea's top mobile carrier SK Telecom has been selected as preferred bidder for a controlling stake in Hynix Semiconductor, the world's number two memory chip maker, creditors said Friday.

Two S. Korea firms bid for Hynix stake

Jul 08, 2011

Two South Korean companies said Friday they had submitted preliminary bids to buy a controlling stake in Hynix Semiconductor, the world's second-largest memory chip maker.

Hyundai says it will not bid for Hynix stake

Jul 06, 2011

South Korea's Hynix Semiconductor Wednesday lost its sole potential buyer after shipmaking giant Hyundai Heavy Industries said it would not bid for a stake in the world's second-largest memory chip maker.

Recommended for you

As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

5 hours ago

The Sony hacking attack continues to deliver more dramatic plotlines than any fictional movie, but meanwhile the movie studio must move forward and tackle the next steps in minimizing the mess. Will Sony ...

It's down to the wire for online shopping

8 hours ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.