Japan lawyer calls for Google autocomplete change

Mar 27, 2012

A Japanese lawyer on Tuesday urged Google to makes its "autocomplete" function more flexible, after a court ordered the search giant to modify the feature to prevent embarrassment for his client.

Hiroyuki Tomita said his unidentified client was suffering reputational damage because Google's generated a suggestion linking him to a crime he had not committed when users typed his name.

"We are not asking for the entire 'suggest function' (autocomplete system) to be switched off," Tomita told AFP, clarifying reports Monday that he wanted the function disabled by Google in Japan.

"We are asking Google to follow what was issued by a Japanese court," the lawyer said.

The last week approved a petition by the man to have his name delinked from autocomplete suggestions, ruling that the function violated his privacy.

The Google function linked the man to , damaging his reputation and making it hard for him to find work in recent years, according to Tomita.

Autocomplete is a function provided by many search engines that suggests what a user may be seeking as they type queries.

Query suggestions are typically based on what other people have searched for when they typed the same initial letters or words.

In the United States, Google said it was reviewing the Japanese court ruling.

"A Japanese court issued a provisional order requesting Google to delete specific terms from autocomplete," a spokesman for the California-based company confirmed on Monday.

"The judge did not require Google to completely suspend the autocomplete function. Google is currently reviewing the order," he said in a statement.

Tomita expressed frustration that in Japan had been unable to handle the matter, and accused the company's US headquarters of dragging its feet.

Explore further: Google to help boost Greece's tourism industry

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Paris court fines Google for copyright breaches

Mar 08, 2011

A Paris court has found Google guilty of four counts of copyright breach, ordering the Internet search giant to pay out hundreds of thousands of euros, court records seen Tuesday showed.

Google: Belgian papers to appear in searches again

Jul 18, 2011

(AP) -- Google began allowing the Web sites of French-language Belgian newspapers to appear in its search results again on Monday, saying it had obtained the papers' legal consent to do so without repercussions.

German court rules against Google's terms

Aug 31, 2009

(AP) -- A German court has ruled that Google Inc. must change terms of service that could be interpreted to compromise a user's rights, a decision the consumer advocacy group that brought the suit welcomed ...

Belgian newspaper: Google blocking us on searches

Jul 15, 2011

(AP) -- At least three Belgian newspapers are reporting Google is preventing their web sites from being found through its search engine as part of a legal fight accusing the American-based company of copyright infringement.

Google temporarily disables 'Realtime' search

Jul 04, 2011

Google Inc. has temporarily shut down a search engine feature that allows users to find real-time updates from Twitter, Facebook, FriendFeed and other social networking sites.

Recommended for you

Google to help boost Greece's tourism industry

3 hours ago

Internet giant Google will offer management courses to 3,000 tourism businesses on the island of Crete as part of an initiative to promote the sector in Greece, industry union Sete said on Thursday.

Music site SoundCloud to start paying artists

9 hours ago

SoundCloud said Thursday that it will start paying artists and record companies whose music is played on the popular streaming site, a move that will bring it in line with competitors such as YouTube and Spotify.

Facebook awards 'Internet Defense Prize'

18 hours ago

Facebook awarded a $50,000 Internet Defense Prize to a pair of German researchers with a seemingly viable approach to detecting vulnerabilities in Web applications.

Twitter tries to block images of Foley killing

Aug 20, 2014

Twitter and some other social media outlets are trying to block the spread of gruesome images of the beheading of journalist James Foley by Islamic State militants, while a movement to deny his killers publicity ...

User comments : 0