Facebook urges court to boot ownership suit

Mar 26, 2012
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg pictured in 2011. Facebook on Monday called on a judge to toss out a New York man's claim to partial ownership of the world's leading social network on the basis that the suit is bogus.

Facebook on Monday called on a judge to toss out a New York man's claim to partial ownership of the world's leading social network on the basis that the suit is bogus.

Paul Ceglia went to in June with a claim that he signed a contract with co-founder Mark Zuckerberg in April 2003 to design a website called "The Face Book" or "The Page Book."

Ceglia submitted a copy of a contract with Zuckerberg to the court hearing the case in Buffalo, New York.

Facebook lawyers on Monday filed a motion to have the case dismissed on the grounds that Ceglia backed his claim with "forged documents and fabricated emails."

"The evidence is in, and it is devastating for Ceglia and his cohorts," Facebook said in court documents. "This entire lawsuit is a fraud and a lie."

Facebook lawyers also accused "Ceglia and his co-conspirators" of destroying or tampering with evidence and defying court orders.

Ceglia will have time to file a legal response before a judge rules on Facebook's request for the case to be booted out of court.

Lawyers for Zuckerberg and Facebook maintain that the contract submitted by Ceglia is a doctored version of a different written agreement between Zuckerberg and Ceglia.

That contract concerns work Zuckerberg did for Ceglia in 2003 on a website called StreetFax, which provided a photo database of traffic intersections for insurance adjusters.

It makes no mention of Facebook.

"The court-ordered forensic testing has uncovered the authentic contract between and StreetFax that Ceglia attempted to conceal," a Facebook filing said.

"This smoking-gun evidence confirms what Defendants have said all along: the purported attached to the complaint is an outright fabrication."

Facebook lawyers have denounced the suit by Ceglia as a "brazen and outrageous fraud" and described him as a "hustler."

New York state Attorney General Andrew Cuomo accused Ceglia in 2009 of taking more than 200,000 dollars from customers of his wood fuel pellet company and then failing to deliver any products or refunds.

Facebook's origins have been the subject of two recent books and a hit Hollywood movie, "The Social Network."

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Facebook wants contract, emails in ownership case

Jun 02, 2011

Facebook on Thursday demanded that a New York man who claims he is entitled to 50 percent of the social network immediately produce the purported contract and emails on which he is basing his case.

NY man suing Facebook fined $5,000 by court

Jan 11, 2012

(AP) -- A New York man who's suing for part ownership of Facebook has been fined $5,000 by a federal judge for failing to fully comply with an order to turn over his email account information.

Facebook rejects ownership suit as a 'fraud'

May 27, 2011

Facebook on Thursday dismissed as a "brazen and outrageous fraud" a lawsuit filed by a New York man who claims he is entitled to at least 50 percent of the wildly successful social network.

Recommended for you

It's down to the wire for online shopping

2 hours ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.