Samsung says to sell 25 mln 'smart TVs' this year

Feb 08, 2012
South Korea's Samsung Electronics said on Wednesday it plans to sell more than 25 million "smart TVs" this year as it tries to capture the emerging Internet TV market eyed by competitors including Apple. The firm hopes to fill more than half of its planned global flat-screen TV sales of 50 million this year with Internet-enabled, interactive TVs.

South Korea's Samsung Electronics said on Wednesday it plans to sell more than 25 million "smart TVs" this year as it tries to capture the emerging Internet TV market eyed by competitors including Apple.

The firm hopes to fill more than half of its planned global flat-screen TV sales of 50 million this year with Internet-enabled, interactive TVs, said Kim Hyun-Suk, head of the firm's television business.

Samsung's latest smart TV recognises human voices in some 30 languages to turn itself on or off, switch channels or adjust volume. It also recognises and offers some 1,500 applications.

"This TV contains all technologies and features we have," Kim told reporters, adding that the model -- named ES8000 -- will hit stores worldwide by the end of March.

Smart TV allows consumers to access the Internet and online videos as well as offering specialised applications such as video games.

Top electronics makers including Samsung and LG Electronics have been aggressively pushing the televisions, seen as a hub in increasingly web-connected home appliances and other mobile gadgets.

Samsung also hopes to introduce a smart TV run on Google's operating platform by the end of this year, Kim added, amid growing interest in arch-rival Apple's soon-to-be launched .

Kim was bullish about TV sales this year despite the in Europe and the United States, saying demand from China remained strong.

"The sales so far this year have been even better than the same period last year," he said.

Research firm DisplaySearch expects the global TV market to grow just 2.0 percent this year after no growth in 2011, due to weak consumer demand amid the global .

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Samsung holds final talks on Google TV venture

Nov 22, 2011

Samsung Electronics is holding final talks with Google about launching a television using the US search giant's software platform next year, an executive of the South Korean company said Tuesday.

First smart TV app developed using Adobe AIR

Oct 05, 2011

At Max 2011, Adobe’s technology developer conference, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd, a global leader in digital media and digital convergence technologies, announced the launch of the first Smart TV application using ...

Samsung sees big jump in 3-D TV sales in 2011

Feb 17, 2011

(AP) -- Samsung Electronics said Thursday it expects to sell up to 10 million 3-D TVs this year and vigorously defended the technology behind its lineup amid intensifying competition with rivals including ...

LG puts hopes on 'next generation' 3-D TV

Feb 16, 2011

(AP) -- LG Electronics says competition is heating up in the global battle to woo viewers to 3-D TVs and the South Korean company thinks it has an edge.

Samsung to provide 3D TVs to Britain's Virgin Media

Sep 29, 2010

South Korea's Samsung Electronics, the world's largest maker of flat-screen TVs, on Wednesday announced a partnership with Virgin Media to expand its presence in Britain's 3D television market.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

5 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.