NY attorney general ends lawsuit against Intel

Feb 09, 2012

(AP) -- Intel Corp. is paying $6.5 million as part of a deal to terminate an antitrust lawsuit filed against the chip-maker by the New York attorney general's office.

Intel said Thursday that it is not admitting any violation of the law or that the allegations in the complaint are true. It said the agreement does not call for any changes to the way it does business.

The payment is intended to cover some of the costs incurred by the attorney general's office, which filed the lawsuit in 2009.

"We have always said that Intel's business practices are lawful, pro-competitive and beneficial to consumers, and we are pleased this matter has been resolved," Doug Melamed, Intel's senior vice president and general counsel, said in a statement.

The suit alleged that Intel, based in Santa Clara, paid billions in kickbacks to computer makers so that it could dominate the microprocessor market, and that it retaliated against manufacturers who did business with competitors.

Last year, a federal judge in Delaware dismissed several claims against Intel in the New York attorney general's case. The judge then canceled a trial planned for this month while attorneys were working out pending issues.

The attorney general's office on Thursday noted that the case was dismissed on procedural grounds, including statute of limitations, and that it still believes its claims had merit. In a statement, the office said that "in light of the court's decision (we) believe that no purpose is served by pursuing the matter further."

Intel has appealed unfavorable rulings in Europe and South Korea.

Its stock closed up 1 cent at $26.86 on Thursday.

Explore further: As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

NY files antitrust suit against Intel (Update)

Nov 04, 2009

(AP) -- New York's attorney general hit Intel Corp. with an antitrust lawsuit Wednesday, claiming the company used "illegal threats and collusion" to dominate the market for computer microprocessors.

Intel, FTC in talks to settle antitrust case

Jun 22, 2010

(AP) -- Intel Corp. and the Federal Trade Commission are in talks to settle an antitrust case against the chip maker, a move that could make it more difficult for rival chip makers to pursue damages.

Intel settles AMD claims but isn't off the hook

Nov 12, 2009

(AP) -- Intel Corp. is paying Silicon Valley rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc. $1.25 billion to squash a legal battle over Intel's sales tactics, a rift that led to antitrust charges against Intel in several ...

FTC extends antitrust settlement talks with Intel

Jul 21, 2010

(AP) -- Federal regulators will take at least two more weeks to work out details of a proposed agreement with Intel Corp. to settle charges that the giant chipmaker violated antitrust laws.

Recommended for you

As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

4 hours ago

The Sony hacking attack continues to deliver more dramatic plotlines than any fictional movie, but meanwhile the movie studio must move forward and tackle the next steps in minimizing the mess. Will Sony ...

It's down to the wire for online shopping

7 hours ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.