Zynga lures mobile gaming exec away from rival EA

Jan 13, 2012

(AP) -- Online game maker Zynga Inc. has lured away an executive from rival Electronic Arts Inc.

The hiring of Barry Cottle, announced Thursday, underscores the escalating rivalry between rapidly growing Zynga and Electronic Arts, a video game stalwart.

Cottle, 50, had been overseeing Electronic Arts' push into mobile and online gaming for the past four years. The diversification beyond packaged video games has paid off. In a memo sent to Electronic Arts' employees Thursday, CEO John Riccitiello said the company's digital revenue surpassed $1 billion for the first time last year.

Zynga has emerged as a major competitor with series of hit games such as "FarmVille" and "Mafia Wars," that have primarily been played on Facebook's social network.

In an effort to become less dependent on , Zynga is trying to expand its reach. It's counting on Cottle to help it realize those ambitions as its executive vice president of business and corporate development.

The company didn't disclose how much it's paying Cottle to leave Electronic Arts.

Zynga is flush right now, having just raised $1 billion in an of stock completed last month. It's the most money raised by a U.S. Internet company since Google Inc. went public in 2004.

Investors so far aren't embracing Zynga like they did , whose has never dipped below its IPO price of $85 per share. Zynga's shares, in contrast, still haven't closed above their IPO price of $10. The stock finished Thursday at $8.45, up 12 cents.

Cottle will report to Zynga's chief operating officer, John Schappert, and be based in the company's Los Angeles office. Zynga is headquartered in San Francisco.

Before joining in 2007, Cottle worked at Palm Computing and the Walt Disney Co.

Explore further: Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

5 /5 (2 votes)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Zynga plans to raise up to $1.15B in IPO

Dec 02, 2011

(AP) -- Online game maker Zynga says it plans to raise up to $1.15 billion in an initial public offering of 115 million shares in the latest in a spate of Internet IPOs

Report: Zynga CEO wants workers to give back stock

Nov 10, 2011

(AP) -- Zynga CEO Mark Pincus wants some of the online game company's early employees to give back stock they own ahead of the company's initial public offering of stock, according to a published report Thursday.

Recommended for you

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

1 hour ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

8 hours ago

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

Atos shares soar after Xerox acquisition

10 hours ago

Shares in French tech firm Atos soared nearly five percent on Friday as traders cheered the news it had bought the IT wing of Xerox for more than $1 billion.

User comments : 1

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

Sinister1811
2.3 / 5 (3) Jan 13, 2012
What the hell? Zynga doesn't even measure up to Electronic Arts.

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.