Malaysia says to rule soon on rare earths plant

Jan 31, 2012
A government ruling on whether Australian miner Lynas would be given the go-ahead for a controversial rare earths processing plant was expected within days, Malaysia's trade minister Mustapa Mohamed, pictured in 2011, said.

A government ruling on whether Australian miner Lynas would be given the go-ahead for a controversial rare earths processing plant was expected within days, Malaysia's trade minister said Tuesday.

Lynas is building the facility in Malaysia's eastern Pahang state, which is set to become one of the few sites outside China to process -- metals used in high-tech equipment ranging from missiles to mobile phones.

Lynas has insisted the plant, which will process rare earths imported from Australia, will be safe, but critics say could leak out, threatening the public and environment.

A ruling by Malaysia's Atomic Energy Licensing Board on whether Lynas would be granted a two-year temporary licence for the facility had been expected by Tuesday but no announcement has been made.

"Hopefully in the next few days there will be some news coming from the board," Trade Minister Mustapa Mohamed told reporters in the capital Kuala Lumpur.

Speaking at a press conference with Australian counterpart Craig Emerson after bilateral trade talks, he reiterated Malaysia's stance that, if approved, the plant must meet "the strictest standards" on safety.

Mustapa said the issue was not a major agenda item in their talks.

Malaysian have declined comment on the outcome of a Monday meeting by the licensing board to review Lynas application.

The license would allow Lynas to start operating the plant, which is already near completion, for an initial two years under strict supervision from Malaysian authorities and with certain limitations on production capacity, Malaysian officials have said.

Lynas says any waste would be handled according to strict standards.

Processing work was originally set to start in the third quarter of 2011.

Thousands of Malaysian opponents of the plant held a protest against it in October in Kuantan, a Malaysian east coast town near the plant site.

Explore further: Underfire Uber ramps up rider safety

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Malaysia reviews safety of rare earth plant

Apr 22, 2011

(AP) -- Malaysia said Friday it is appointing international experts to investigate whether a refinery being built by Australian miner Lynas Corp. Ltd. to process rare earth minerals presents any threat of ...

China restarts rare earth shipments to Japan

Nov 24, 2010

(AP) -- China resumed exports to Japan of rare earth minerals crucial in high-tech manufacturing after a two-month de facto ban and a Japanese conglomerate announced a major supply deal with an Australian miner that will ...

China cuts 2012 rare earths export quota

Dec 28, 2011

(AP) -- China announced a cut Tuesday in its rare earths export quota as it tries to shore up sagging prices for the exotic metals used in mobile phones and other high-tech goods.

China rare earths supplier suspends production

Oct 20, 2011

(AP) -- China's biggest producer of rare earths is suspending production for one month in hopes of boosting slumping prices of the exotic minerals used in mobile phones and other high-tech products.

Ruling clears way for N.M. nuclear plant

Jun 01, 2006

The U.S. Atomic Safety and Licensing Board has resolved one of the last legal issues leading to construction of a nuclear fuel refinery near Hobbs, N.M.

Recommended for you

Underfire Uber ramps up rider safety

1 hour ago

Uber is ramping up driver background checks and other security measures worldwide after the smartphone-focused car-sharing service was banned in New Delhi following the alleged rape of a passenger.

Sony cancels NKorea parody film release after threats

1 hour ago

Hollywood studio Sony Pictures on Wednesday abruptly canceled the December 25 release date of "The Interview," a parody film which has angered North Korea and triggered chilling threats from hackers.

Sprint accused of billing for unwanted services

6 hours ago

(AP)—Federal regulators are accusing Sprint Corp. of illegally billing its wireless customers hundreds of millions of dollars in charges for text message alerts and other services that they didn't order.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.