Apple names European exec to head retail ops

Jan 31, 2012

(AP) -- Apple Inc. has named Dixons Retail CEO John Browett as its top retail executive, charged with developing the sales strategy for the iPhone and iPad maker as it expands Apple stores around the world.

Browett will take on his new job as of retail in April. He will report directly to Apple CEO , who took over after Apple co-founder and longtime CEO Steve Jobs died in October.

"Our retail stores are all about customer service, and John shares that commitment like no one else we've met," Cook said in a statement Tuesday.

Browett has served as CEO of Dixons Retail, a major European electronics retailer, since 2007. Dixons said that Browett will leave its board on Feb. 20 and will depart from the company on April 20. The company named Sebastian James as Group CEO and Katie Bickerstaffe to the newly created role of CEO-U.K. and Ireland.

Browett has also held several positions at the British retailer Tesco PLC and headed its web site operations.

Apple's stock rose $2.89 to $455.90 in premarket trading Tuesday.

Apple is based in Cupertino, Calif.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

1 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Apple begins event where new iPhone expected

Oct 04, 2011

(AP) -- An Apple event has started during which the company is expected to unveil a new iPhone. It's the first major product event in years that Steve Jobs isn't presiding over.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

3 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

8 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

9 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

23 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.