US to pursue suit against AT&T, T-Mobile deal: Holder

November 8, 2011
Executives at AT&T attend a news conference where it was announced that AT&T Inc. will be buying its wireless rival T-Mobile, in New York City in March 2011. US Department of Justice lawyers "are ready and eager to go to court" in a bid to block AT&T's $39 billion takeover of T-Mobile

US Department of Justice lawyers "are ready and eager to go to court" in a bid to block AT&T's $39 billion takeover of T-Mobile, Attorney General Eric Holder assured lawmakers on Tuesday.

"The does not file matters in court, does not file suits challenging proposed mergers unless we are prepared to follow them all the way through," Holder, who has recused himself from the lawsuit, told the Senate Judiciary Committee.

"There is a trial team -- I know about this just from what I've heard -- there is a trial team that is in place, and they are ready and eager to go to court," he told the panel.

Democratic Senator Herb Kohl had asked Holder about concern in some quarters that the Justice Department "might not be in this case for the long haul and agree to a settlement that would allow the merger to proceed."

In September, the Justice Department said the attorney generals of California, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Washington had joined the suit it filed in US District Court in Washington in August.

The move was another setback for AT&T as it seeks to salvage the proposed takeover of T-Mobile USA, the US unit of Deutsche Telekom.

AT&T has submitted a defense of its takeover bid for T-Mobile to the , rejecting the Justice Department's assertion that the deal would be anti-competitive and claiming it would benefit consumers.

"Rather than substantially reducing competition, the combined firm will usher in more intense competition to an already vibrantly competitive market," AT&T said.

In the event the case goes to trial, the Justice Department has proposed that it begin on March 19, 2012. AT&T has proposed a January 16, 2012 trial date.

Explore further: Key senator opposes AT&T $39B purchase of T-Mobile

Related Stories

Judge sets first hearing in AT&T anti-trust case

September 7, 2011

The federal judge hearing the US government's lawsuit seeking to block AT&T's $39 billion takeover of T-Mobile has set a first meeting to discuss the prospects for a settlement.

AT&T defends T-Mobile deal in response to DOJ suit

September 10, 2011

(AP) -- AT&T is countering the U.S. government's attempt to block its $39 billion acquisition of T-Mobile by depicting the deal as a way to provide consumers with better cell phone service at lower prices.

Recommended for you

The ethics of robot love

November 25, 2015

There was to have been a conference in Malaysia last week called Love and Sex with Robots but it was cancelled. Malaysian police branded it "illegal" and "ridiculous". "There is nothing scientific about sex with robots," ...


Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.