India court bails Satyam fraud accused

Nov 04, 2011

India's Supreme Court on Friday granted bail to the former chairman of Indian outsourcing giant Satyam, B. Ramalinga Raju, who is accused of one of the country's biggest corporate frauds.

The court allowed bail for Raju, 57, his brother B. Rama Raju and the company's former internal auditor Srinivas Vadlamani.

The men are being tried for fraud in the case dubbed "India's Enron" after the US energy giant that collapsed in 2001 in the wake of huge false-accounting revelations.

Supreme Court Justice D. Bhandari ordered the three men who have been in prison in the southern city of Hyderabad for nearly three years to relinquish their passports.

The top court said bail was appropriate given "the totality of the circumstances" and told each man to post surety of 400,000 rupees ($8,000).

The court had earlier said the men could seek bail if their trial was not completed within a deadline set by the court of July 2011.

The trial in Hyderabad, capital of Andhra Pradesh state, is ongoing.

India's Central Bureau of Investigation had opposed bail, saying there was "every possibility" the accused would seek to "tamper with evidence."

Ramalinga Raju's declaration in early 2009 that he had falsified profits plunged India's corporate world into turmoil.

He and others are accused of embezzling around $3 billion from Satyam, which was one of India's largest outsourcing firms when the scandal erupted.

Raju declared in a letter of confession he had overstated profits for years and inflated the company's balance sheet by more than $1 billion.

However, he backed away from the confession 18 months later.

Tech Mahindra, a unit of Indian vehicle and farm equipment manufacturer Mahindra and Mahindra, later bought Hyderabad-based Satyam, allaying fears about its survival.

Raju who was educated in India and the United States, was one of the stars of the software boom that has been a key driver of India's economic growth in recent years.

The bail order comes after the Supreme last month granted bail to five other accused in the case.

Explore further: As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

India fraud office to prosecute Satyam founder

Nov 16, 2009

India's fraud office will file charges this month against the founder of outsourcer Satyam after he admitted to falsifying profits in the nation's biggest corporate fraud, a minister said Monday.

India's fraud-hit Satyam seeks delisting from NYSE

Sep 24, 2010

India's fraud-hit software firm Satyam Computers said on Friday it plans to delist from the New York stock exchange as it may not be able to meet the US deadline to file restated financial accounts.

Recommended for you

As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

4 hours ago

The Sony hacking attack continues to deliver more dramatic plotlines than any fictional movie, but meanwhile the movie studio must move forward and tackle the next steps in minimizing the mess. Will Sony ...

It's down to the wire for online shopping

8 hours ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.