Facebook founder returns to Harvard to recruit

Nov 07, 2011 By DAVID KLEPPER , Associated Press

(AP) -- Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg has returned to Harvard University to enlist new talent for his social networking site.

It's the 27-year-old CEO's first official visit to the Ivy League school since he left in 2004. Relations between the two have sometimes been prickly. He met with Harvard students and officials on Monday after a recruiting visit to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology earlier in the day.

At Harvard, hundreds of students lined up to watch him briefly speak with reporters. Zuckerberg said he's back because "there's a lot of really smart people here."

Harvard freshman Aaron Perez, an 18-year-old from Poughkeepsie, N.Y., says Zuckerberg gives hope to students wondering if they'll be able to find a job. He says Zuckerberg's changed the world and is one of the reasons he chose to study .

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

Facebook creator is returning to Harvard University to enlist new talent for his social networking site.

It's the 27-year-old CEO's first official visit to the Ivy League school since he left in 2004. Relations between the two have sometimes been prickly, but he planned to meet with both Harvard students and officials after a recruiting visit to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology earlier in the day.

Harvard computing officials were working on their own university-wide online directory when Zuckerberg created Facebook as a campus-only social network. The then-sophomore told the campus newspaper, The Harvard Crimson, that it was silly that the university needed years to create the site.

"I can do it better than they can, and I can do it in a week," he said.

An earlier Zuckerberg creation, Facemash, almost led to his expulsion after he hacked university computers for student photos.

The Boston area's status as a center for is much improved since Zuckerberg left to launch in California's Silicon Valley, according to local entrepreneur Dharmesh Shah, who is chief technology officer and co-founder of HubSpot, a marketing software company. Shah also runs a blog devoted to technology startups.

Shah created HubSpot while an MIT student. He considered basing his new company in San Francisco but wanted to stay close to MIT and the area's growing talent pool.

"There's a vibrant ecosystem here," he said. "There's always been this stereotype that startups on the East Coast won't take as much risk as the startups you see on the West Coast, and that held us back. But it's changing. I've never seen it as vibrant as it is right now."

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Mark Zuckerberg becomes a home owner: report

May 05, 2011

A local newspaper on Thursday reported that Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg is giving up life as a renter for a posh house a short drive from the social network's new Silicon Valley campus.

Zuckerberg at Ore. Facebook data center

Apr 16, 2011

(AP) -- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg made a surprise appearance Friday night in Prineville, Ore., at a community party for the grand opening of his company's new data center.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

12 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.