Sony Ericsson profits down in 3rd quarter

Oct 14, 2011 By KARL RITTER , Associated Press

Mobile phone maker Sony Ericsson posted a break-even third quarter Friday - blaming the drop in earnings on higher taxes and lower margins - and announced that it is shifting its entire portfolio to smartphones next year.

The joint venture between Sweden's and Japan's Sony Corp. said net profit fell to 0 from euro49 million ($67.26 million) in the same quarter last year, while sales dipped slightly to euro1.59 billion ($2.18 billion), from euro1.6 billion ($2.2 billion) a year earlier.

The company said its pretax profit was cut in half due to a lower gross margin, partially offset by lower operating expenses. Taxes grew to euro17 million from euro12 million.

Sony Ericsson said its Android-based Xperia smartphones now account for more than 80 percent of its sales. That was reflected in a 9 percent decrease in units shipped but an 8 percent hike in the average selling price of a Sony Ericsson phone.

"We will continue to invest in the smartphone market, shifting the entire portfolio to smartphones during 2012," CEO Bert Nordberg said.

Smartphones account for an increasing share of the total , as users move away from more basic handsets.

Even before the introduction of smartphones, Sony Ericsson focused on more advanced mobile phones than many of its bigger competitors, such as .

adopted Google's Android operating system for its smartphones in 2008, and said it now controls about 11 percent of the Android-based smartphone market.

It maintained its forecast of modest industry growth in the global mobile phone market in 2011.

Explore further: It's down to the wire for online shopping

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Sony Ericsson targeting China's smartphone market

Sep 01, 2010

Sony Ericsson said Wednesday China would become its biggest handset market by volume in the next three to four years, as it moved to grab a bigger slice of the fast-growing smartphone market.

Mobile phone maker Sony Ericsson posts Q1 profit

Apr 16, 2010

(AP) -- Mobile phone maker Sony Ericsson posted its first quarterly profit in nearly two years Friday, boosted by gains from high-end devices such as smartphones and cost cuts.

Sony Ericsson Q4 loss narrows 9 percent

Jan 22, 2010

(AP) -- Mobile phone maker Sony Ericsson on Friday said its loss in the fourth quarter narrowed 9 percent from a year ago to euro167 million ($235 million), as improved margins and lower costs offset a slump in sales.

Mobile sales up 32 percent last year: Gartner

Feb 09, 2011

Worldwide mobile sales increased 32 percent last year and smartphone shipments surpassed those of personal computers for the first time in the fourth quarter, according to tracking firms.

Recommended for you

It's down to the wire for online shopping

6 minutes ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.