South Korea's Samsung Electronics said Monday it delayed the launch of a smartphone based on Google's latest Android operating system as a gesture of respect for legendary Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.
Samsung -- the world's number two mobile phone maker -- and Apple are at loggerheads in a series of patent lawsuits over the technology and design of smartphones and tablet computers.
The Korean company had been due to unveil a Galaxy Nexus smartphone using Google-backed Android software and designed to challenge Apple's market-leading iPhone at an event in San Diego on Tuesday.
"The launch was delayed because we thought it's not the right time to announce it following the passing of Steve Jobs," a spokesman for the company told AFP.
Jobs, 56, died on Wednesday after suffering from cancer.
Last week Apple unveiled its iPhone 4S, which will be available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and Britain on October 14 and in another 22 countries including Italy from October 28.
But Samsung said it would seek a ban in France and Italy on sales of the new iPhone, citing what it called two patent infringements regarding mobile technology.
The South Korean firm also said it would file preliminary injunctions in other countries.
Samsung will announce a new date and venue for its smartphone launch later.
Explore further: Record labels sue Pandora over older songs