New version of Apple iPhone lost in bar, again: CNET

Sep 01, 2011
A customer looks at a white and a black iPhone 4 at the Apple store in Palo Alto, California. Technology news website CNET on Wednesday reported that a new version of Apple's coveted iPhone went astray in a bar in a replay of an embarrassing loss that took place last year.

Technology news website CNET reported that a new version of Apple's coveted iPhone went astray in a bar in a replay of an embarrassing loss that took place last year.

An Apple employee lost a yet-to-be released model in a tequila bar in the San Francisco Mission District in July, according to CNET.

Apple electronically tracked the device to a San Francisco home but the resident denied knowing anything about the missing iPhone, which may have been sold for a couple of hundred dollars at online auction house , CNET said.

The report prompted speculation whether the missing iPhone was a next-generation expected to be unveiled by Apple in September or October.

Word of another unreleased iPhone model disappearing in a bar came just weeks after prosecutors decided not to pursue criminal charges against Gizmodo technology bloggers who got hold of a lost prototype last year.

Criminal charges were filed against a man who purportedly found the iPhone 4 prototype in a bar and another who brokered a deal to sell it to Gizmodo, according to the district attorney's office in San Mateo County, California.

Early last year, Gizmodo published pictures and details of the iPhone prototype after buying it for $5,000 from a man who claimed to have found it in a beer garden where it was lost by an Apple .

Explore further: Japan unveils 'anti-loneliness' hugging chair

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Apple iPhone prototype finder identified

Apr 30, 2010

A 21-year-old Californian man was identified on Thursday as the person who found and sold an Apple iPhone prototype to the technology blog Gizmodo.

Media wants affidavit in iPhone raid unsealed

May 05, 2010

(AP) -- The Associated Press and other news organizations asked a judge Wednesday to unseal the search warrant affidavit used to raid the home of a blogger who posted pictures and details of an iPhone prototype.

Recommended for you

Samsung rejects claims of Galaxy Note defect

Oct 01, 2014

Samsung on Wednesday rejected claims that its new oversized smartphone had a defect, after some customers posted pictures of a gap between the frame and display panel.

Slingbox lets you watch live TV at home or elsewhere

Sep 30, 2014

Man's second-best friend, television, gets out of the house more than ever. On a smartphone app or laptop, people watch sports on WatchESPN, movies and original programming on HBO Go or Netflix, and weekly network TV series.

China clears way for Apple iPhone 6 sales

Sep 30, 2014

China has cleared the way for Apple to sell its latest iPhones in the key market by granting it a licence, the industry regulator said on Tuesday, after the US giant agreed to improve the security of users' ...

User comments : 1

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

Ricochet
not rated yet Sep 02, 2011
More like "lost" in a bar...