Google paid $125 million for Zagat: WSJ

Sep 09, 2011
A Zagat book sits on a bookshelf at the Books & Books store on September 8, in Miami, Florida. Internet search and advertising giant Google paid around $125 million for restaurant review guide Zagat, The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday.

Internet search and advertising giant Google paid around $125 million for restaurant review guide Zagat, The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday.

Google announced the acquisition on Thursday but did not disclose how much it paid for Zagat Survey, which provides reviews of restaurants, hotels and other attractions in more than 100 cities around the world.

Announcing the purchase, vice president Marissa Mayer said Zagat "will be a cornerstone of our local offering -- delighting people with their impressive array of reviews, ratings and insights."

The Mountain View, California-based Google is expected to integrate Zagat's reviews with its popular online services such as .

Zagat, which relies on more than 350,000 contributors around the world but has only 100 full-time employees, has been facing competition online from free restaurant review sites such as Yelp and has been for sale since January 2008.

Press reports at the time said Zagat was seeking $200 million.

Google's acquisition of Zagat comes nearly two years after it failed in a bid to buy .

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Would a Google purchase of Yelp draw regulatory interest?

Dec 21, 2009

Google Inc.'s reported plans to acquire local-listings service Yelp may face difficulties, with regulators attuned to the Mountain View, Calif.-based company's established dominance of the Internet-search and advertising ...

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

6 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

11 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

12 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.