US demands Deloitte cooperate in China fraud probe

Sep 09, 2011

US regulators blasted global accounting giant Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu on Thursday for failing to cooperate in their probe of suspected fraud by Longtop, a Chinese software company.

The US said Deloitte's Shanghai unit was not complying with a subpoena that the agency had issued in May for documents pertaining to the suspected accounting fraud.

The unit, D&T , has "vast amounts of documents" of interest to the investigation but has not yet responded to the SEC's subpoena despite a July deadline, the agency said in a statement.

"These documents may reveal information about D&T Shanghai's discovery of false financial records at Longtop, how any fraud schemes at Longtop were able to continue undetected, and basic information necessary to ferret out whether there was a fraud, who was behind it, how significant it was, and how it was conducted," the SEC said.

The agency said it had filed a subpoena enforcement action to force Deloitte to cooperate, and warned that refusal to hand over the documents could have "serious legal consequences".

The SEC halted trading of Longtop's shares on the New York Stock Exchange in May after Deloitte abruptly quit as the company's auditor, with the accountancy firm accusing Longtop managers of falsifying records about the firm's cash balances and sales.

In previous years, Deloitte's auditors had repeatedly given a clean bill of health to financial statements released by Longtop, a maker of financial software based in the southeastern Chinese city of Xiamen.

Longtop is one of several Chinese firms on North American stock markets that have been embroiled in accounting scandals and a crackdown by regulators this year; some have been suspended and others delisted.

The scandals have shaken the faith of investors in Chinese companies and raised doubts about corporate governance practices in China.

Last month, Canadian regulators halted trading of Chinese timber company Sino-Forest Corp. on the Toronto Stock Exchange, accusing it of inflating the size of its revenues and timber holdings.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

India's fraud-hit Satyam seeks delisting from NYSE

Sep 24, 2010

India's fraud-hit software firm Satyam Computers said on Friday it plans to delist from the New York stock exchange as it may not be able to meet the US deadline to file restated financial accounts.

Satyam to pay $10 million to settle SEC charges

Apr 05, 2011

Satyam Computer Services has agreed to pay $10 million to settle US charges that former top managers inflated the Indian company's revenue, the US Securities and Exchange Commission said Tuesday.

Accounting practices ultimately affect global economy

May 14, 2008

How much a particular hill of beans is worth may depend on who’s counting the beans. When it comes to accounting standards in the business world, every bean counts, but the quality of financial reporting differs from country ...

SEC drops options case vs former McAfee lawyer

Mar 19, 2009

(AP) -- The Securities and Exchange Commission says it has dropped its lawsuit against McAfee Inc.'s former general counsel which accused him of illegally tampering with stock options.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

5 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

10 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

11 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.