SF area transit agency to discuss wireless policy

Aug 24, 2011 By PAUL ELIAS , Associated Press
A San Francisco Police officer pushes protesters onto a sidewalk from Market Street in San Francisco, Monday, Aug. 22, 2011. About 100 demonstrators on Monday were protesting the Bay Area Rapid Transit agency's decision to cut wireless service in its San Francisco stations earlier this month. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)

(AP) -- The transit agency in the San Francisco Bay area hopes to ease tensions with a public meeting over whether there should be a policy on cutting wireless access to its stations during protests.

The Bay Area Rapid Transit agency board of directors meets Wednesday morning in Oakland to discuss whether it wants to continue using the tactic, which drew unfavorable comparisons to Hosni Mubarak's attempts to cut Internet access to most of Egypt to quell demonstrations protesting his regime.

"We've had a number of protests over this that have been disruptive to our passengers," board president Bob Franklin said. "We want to provide an appropriate forum to hear from those protesters with this meeting."

Franklin said the board isn't expected to take any action during the meeting. Instead, he said the session is being held to gather ideas and hear from all sides about what policy BART should adopt.

BART became the first reported U.S. governmental agency to shut wireless access as a security measure when it turned off power to in four San Francisco stations on Aug. 11, when a protest over BART police shooting and killing a transient was planned.

The action was taken after leaders of the protest told demonstrators to look for last-minute instructions on how to disrupt the evening commute on social networks and text messages. The protest failed to materialize after BART cut wireless access.

The tactic, though, has prompted two rowdy demonstrations on each of the past two Monday nights. The first demonstration prompted BART to briefly close four stations, but no arrests were made even though protesters unfurled banners and loudly chanted slogans on the platform in violation of BART safety rules.

The protest Monday night forced closure of two stations and resulted in close to four dozen arrests in the subway and in city streets above after demonstrators refused police demands to disburse. Four demonstrators were arrested after refusing BART police demands to refrain from protesting on the Civic Center station platform.

Franklin believes there was a conscious decision Monday to not tolerate protests on the platform. "It's dangerous," he said.

Franklin said BART police have been better handling each successive demonstration. The first protest, held July 11 over the police shooting, caused massive delays throughout the BART system. There were no delays reported Monday night, Franklin said.

"This has been an ongoing process," BART Deputy Chief Daniel O. Hartwig said.

Explore further: Hand out money with my mobile? I think I'm ready

2 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Transit agency head defends cell service shutoff

Aug 16, 2011

(AP) -- The head of the Bay Area Rapid Transit agency is defending the system's move to cut wireless service to thwart a planned protest last week. But he says the tactic likely won't be used again.

SF protests go on without new wireless shutdowns

Aug 16, 2011

(AP) -- Civil libertarian groups have backed away from threats to legally challenge the Bay Area Rapid Transit system's wireless service shutdown last week after the agency refused a repeat amid rush-hour ...

Hackers gain access to transit police union site

Aug 17, 2011

(AP) -- Hackers on Wednesday again targeted a California transit agency that came under fire last week for turning off cell phone service in its stations to thwart a potential protest.

BART ready for renewed protests after cyber attack

Aug 15, 2011

(AP) -- San Francisco's mass transit system prepared for renewed protests Monday, a day after hackers angry over blocked cell phone service at some transit stations broke into a website and posted company ...

Hackers protest BART decision to block cellphones

Aug 15, 2011

(AP) -- Hackers broke into a website for San Francisco's mass transit system Sunday and posted contact information for more than 2,000 customers, the latest showdown between anarchists angry at perceived ...

Recommended for you

Hand out money with my mobile? I think I'm ready

Apr 17, 2014

A service is soon to launch in the UK that will enable us to transfer money to other people using just their name and mobile number. Paym is being hailed as a revolution in banking because you can pay peopl ...

Quantenna promises 10-gigabit Wi-Fi by next year

Apr 16, 2014

(Phys.org) —Quantenna Communications has announced that it has plans for releasing a chipset that will be capable of delivering 10Gbps WiFi to/from routers, bridges and computers by sometime next year. ...

Tech giants look to skies to spread Internet

Apr 16, 2014

The shortest path to the Internet for some remote corners of the world may be through the skies. That is the message from US tech giants seeking to spread the online gospel to hard-to-reach regions.

Wireless industry makes anti-theft commitment

Apr 16, 2014

A trade group for wireless providers said Tuesday that the biggest mobile device manufacturers and carriers will soon put anti-theft tools on the gadgets to try to deter rampant smartphone theft.

Dish Network denies wrongdoing in $2M settlement

Apr 15, 2014

The state attorney general's office says Dish Network Corp. will reimburse Washington state customers about $2 million for what it calls a deceptive surcharge, but the satellite TV provider denies any wrongdoing.

Netflix's Comcast deal improves quality of video

Apr 14, 2014

Netflix's videos are streaming through Comcast's Internet service at their highest speeds in the past 17 months now that Netflix is paying for a more direct connection to Comcast's network.

User comments : 1

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

JRDarby
not rated yet Aug 24, 2011
It's rather disingenuous to show a picture of someone in the 'black bloc' for the article. From pictures I've seen elsewhere on the web, most of the protestors were dressed completely normally. Nearly all the people in all-black "intimidating" clothes were police in full riot gear, the ratio of these to protestors being very high. It's almost as if the author and editors of Physorg want to portray these people completely negatively.

I won't comment on the disruptiveness of the protests or protestors, because that seems evident, but the article is certainly one-sided, especially for one whose headline is about the discussion of wireless policy but whose body briefly mentions this in favor of a comparatively lengthy attack on the protestors and the protest.

More news stories

Ex-Apple chief plans mobile phone for India

Former Apple chief executive John Sculley, whose marketing skills helped bring the personal computer to desktops worldwide, says he plans to launch a mobile phone in India to exploit its still largely untapped ...

Airbnb rental site raises $450 mn

Online lodging listings website Airbnb inked a $450 million funding deal with investors led by TPG, a source close to the matter said Friday.

Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review

People with accounts on the enrollment website for President Barack Obama's signature health care law are being told to change their passwords following an administration-wide review of the government's vulnerability to the ...

A homemade solar lamp for developing countries

(Phys.org) —The solar lamp developed by the start-up LEDsafari is a more effective, safer, and less expensive form of illumination than the traditional oil lamp currently used by more than one billion people ...

NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs

Robonaut, the first out-of-this-world humanoid, is finally getting its space legs. For three years, Robonaut has had to manage from the waist up. This new pair of legs means the experimental robot—now stuck ...

Filipino tests negative for Middle East virus

A Filipino nurse who tested positive for the Middle East virus has been found free of infection in a subsequent examination after he returned home, Philippine health officials said Saturday.

Egypt archaeologists find ancient writer's tomb

Egypt's minister of antiquities says a team of Spanish archaeologists has discovered two tombs in the southern part of the country, one of them belonging to a writer and containing a trove of artifacts including reed pens ...