New York Times suffers quarterly loss

Jul 21, 2011
The New York Times Company said it lost $120 million in the second quarter, as income from digital subscriptions failed to make up for a steep write-down of its print newspaper assets.

The New York Times Company said Thursday it lost $120 million in the second quarter, as income from digital subscriptions failed to make up for a steep write-down of its print newspaper assets.

Total revenue decreased 2.2 percent from a year ago to $577 million, as advertising revenue fell 4.0 percent while circulation revenue held roughly steady, the company said in a report.

The net loss was mainly due to a $161 million write-down of the company's regional newspapers, which have struggled to retain advertising dollars as readers increasingly get their news from the Internet.

The publisher of The New York Times said it suffered a net loss of 81 cents per common share. Analysts had expected a profit of nine cents a share. The company would have earned 12 cents a share without the write-down.

Thursday's earnings report offered a glimpse into The New York Times's new online paywall, which was introduced in March in an attempt to squeeze more revenue out of the newspaper's popular website.

The company said that at the end of June, it had a total of 281,000 paying on NYTimes.com, including e-reader users.

In addition, 756,000 print subcribers had been automatically enrolled in the plan, and 100,000 more readers had paywall access though a partnership with US luxury car brand Lincoln, the company said.

"The digital is a long-term effort, and its full impact on revenues will be more evident over the course of the year as we progress past the early stages of the plan," chief executive Janet Robinson said in a statement.

"Our ability to further monetize our digital content will provide us with a significant new revenue stream in the second half of this year."

Besides its renowned flagship newspaper, The New York Times Company owns the International Herald Tribune, The , 15 other newspapers and various websites such as About.com and Boston.com.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

New York Times net profit dips 26 percent

Feb 03, 2011

The New York Times Co. on Thursday reported a 26-percent drop in quarterly net profit as an increase in digital advertising revenue failed to make up for what it lost in print ads and circulation.

Over 100,000 paid subscribers for NYTimes.com

Apr 21, 2011

The New York Times Co. released its first figures on Thursday since it began charging for full access to NYTimes.com, saying it has signed up more than 100,000 paid subscribers in three weeks.

NYTimes.com to start charging readers 'shortly'

Mar 02, 2011

The New York Times said Wednesday that it is in the "final testing phase" of its plan to charge readers for full access to the newspaper's website and will start doing so soon.

Boston Globe to launch paid website

Sep 30, 2010

Taking a page from its parent company The New York Times Co., The Boston Globe will begin charging for full access to its website next year, the newspaper announced on Thursday.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

18 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 2

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

tarheelchief
not rated yet Jul 21, 2011
Looks like Times' staffers will be taking either a cut in pay or paying an increasing share of in the health insurance premium.
Shelgeyr
not rated yet Jul 21, 2011
Newsflash: The sky is blue.

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.