Nokia abandons Japan market

Jul 06, 2011 By YURI KAGEYAMA , AP Business Writer

Nokia Corp., battered by the popularity of smartphones, is abandoning the Japanese market, after a brief foray with luxury cell phones costing as much as 20 million yen ($250,000).

The Finnish handset maker is closing by the end of July its last store selling high-end Vertu cell phones in Ginza. Previously, it had four such stores in Japan, according to Tomoko Morinari of Sunny Side Up, a Tokyo public relations company that has Nokia as its client.

She declined to say when the decision to leave Japan was made or how many Vertu phones Nokia had sold in Japan.

Vertu said in a statement Wednesday that it was "withdrawing from the " to better focus on priority businesses. It thanked business partners, said its Tokyo office will fold by the end of this year, but promised to continue to do work with Japanese craftsmen in its business elsewhere.

Nokia phones have never been that popular in Japan, where the from Apple Inc. is hugely popular in addition to offerings from Japanese electronics makers such as .

Vertu were billed as luxury items including one of lacquer by a Japanese craftsman decorated as a National Treasure that went for 20 million yen ($250,000), Morinari said.

Last month, Nokia warned its second-quarter sales and margins are expected to be much lower than anticipated because of global competition in both the high- and low-end markets.

Since 1998, Nokia has been the world's biggest seller of cell phones, but in the first quarter of this year Apple overtook it as the world's top handset vendor in revenue. Nokia's market share continues to fall, and at 29 percent in the first quarter, is at its lowest level since the late 1990s.

Even more damaging has been Nokia's inability to meet modern challenges of the smartphone market, the lucrative sector in the handset industry.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Nokia shakes up management to tackle rivals

May 11, 2010

(AP) -- Nokia Corp. will reshuffle its management in mobile devices to tackle growing competition from rivals in smart phones and high-end mobile computers, the company said Tuesday.

Nokia to transfer 2,800 staff to Accenture

Jun 22, 2011

(AP) -- Nokia Corp. said Wednesday it has completed a deal to outsource Symbian software development to Accenture, including the transfer of 2,800 workers to the global management-consulting firm.

Nokia to ax 220 R&D jobs in Japan

Nov 24, 2009

(AP) -- Nokia Corp. said Tuesday it is axing 220 jobs at research and development units in Japan as the world's largest mobile phone maker continues to cut costs.

Nokia's market share falls below 30 percent

Apr 21, 2011

Nokia Corp. reported better than expected first-quarter profits Thursday but its global market share dropped to below 30 percent for the first time in over a decade as the world's top cellphone maker continued to lose ground ...

Nokia Q2 profit falls 40 pct to $290 million

Jul 22, 2010

(AP) -- Nokia Corp. said Thursday that second-quarter net profit fell 40 percent to euro227 million ($290 million) as the world's largest mobile phone maker lost market share and sales remained flat. Analysts, however, noted ...

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

3 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

8 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

9 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

23 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.