Nokia dismisses Microsoft takeover report

Jun 02, 2011
Nokia chief executive Stephen Elop dismissed as "baseless" a report that Microsoft had agreed to purchase the Finnish company's mobile business.

Nokia chief executive Stephen Elop on Wednesday dismissed as "baseless" a report that Microsoft had agreed to purchase the Finnish company's mobile business.

"There are absolutely no discussions," Elop said at the D9 technology conference here hosted by All Things Digital. "The rumors are baseless."

The website Boy Genius, or BGR.com, reported on Wednesday that according to industry insider Eldar Murtazin, Microsoft has struck a deal to buy Nokia's for $19 billion.

Nokia hired Elop, a former Microsoft executive, to be its chief executive in September and in February the Finnish company announced that it was abandoning its smartphone platform to adopt Microsoft's mobile operating system.

Elop said the first Nokia smartphone using the 7 software would be released in the fourth quarter of the year.

He briefly took a prototype out of his pocket but quickly put it back without providing so much as a glimpse of the screen.

Explore further: 2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Microsoft lower on Nokia report

Jun 01, 2011

Microsoft shares were down nearly two percent on Wall Street on Wednesday amid an unconfirmed report that the US software giant had agreed to purchase Nokia's mobile business for $19 billion.

Nokia CEO: Co. to get billions from Microsoft

Feb 13, 2011

(AP) -- Nokia Corp. will get billions of dollars from Microsoft Corp. to ditch its current smart-phone software in favor of Windows Phone 7, Nokia CEO Stephen Elop said Sunday, in a defense of the deal.

Microsoft Office coming to Nokia mobiles

Aug 12, 2009

Microsoft and Nokia, in a challenge to Research in Motion's Blackberry, announced Wednesday that Microsoft Office software will be available on smartphones made by the Finnish company.

Nokia says to cut 4,000 jobs, outsource 3,000

Apr 27, 2011

The world's leading mobile phone maker Nokia said on Wednesday it will cut 4,000 jobs worldwide by the end of 2012 and transfer a further 3,000 employees to consulting firm Accenture.

Nokia 'on a burning platform,' boss warns

Feb 09, 2011

World-leading mobile phone company Nokia is "standing on a burning platform," surrounded by a "blazing fire" of competition, new company head Stephen Elop said in an internal memo obtained by AFP on Wednesday.

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

3 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

4 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

18 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.