Sony boss: cannot guarantee security after hacking

May 18, 2011
Sony chief Howard Stringer, pictured, has warned he can no longer guarantee the security of the electronics giant's gaming network in the "bad new world" of cybercrime after one of the biggest Internet data breaches.

Sony chief Howard Stringer has warned he can no longer guarantee the security of the electronics giant's gaming network in the "bad new world" of cybercrime after one of the biggest Internet data breaches.

The Japanese multinational has begun restoring its hacked PlayStation Network and services after the theft of personal data from more than 100 million accounts in a estimated to have cost the firm $1 billion.

The company has bolstered security but Stringer, speaking for the first time on the crisis Tuesday, said protecting private information was a "never-ending process" and he did not know if anyone could be "100 percent secure".

Sony shut down the PlayStation Network and Qriocity music on April 20 after its data centre in San Diego was hacked -- but it did not reveal the breach until April 26.

The company has said it cannot rule out that millions of may have been compromised.

Stringer, 69, warned hackers may one day target the global financial system, the power grid or air-traffic control systems.

"It's the beginning, unfortunately, or the shape of things to come," he told Dow Jones Newswires. "It's not a brave new world -- it's a bad new world."

The breach is a huge blow for Sony as it focuses on pushing content such as games and music through including , smartphones and amid competition from Apple's iTunes and App Store.

Sony was lashed by bitter criticism over the crisis which overshadowed the earnings bounce-back made by the firm after two years of losses.

Stringer hit back at politicians and Internet who said Sony should have alerted subscribers to the threat of a possible data theft sooner.

He said Sony did not know conclusively until April 25 that personal information had been accessed and added that said talking publicly about the company's suspicions before gathering evidence would have been "irresponsible".

"We were trying to find out in a very volatile situation what had happened and when we did we relayed it," said Stringer. "If your house has been burglarised, you find out if you've lost something before you call the police," he said.

Stringer said the Federal Bureau of Investigation probe into the matter was still ongoing but declined to provide an update on the findings.

The CEO said it was too early to assess the financial impact of the outage, with the company reporting its full-year results on May 26, but analysts estimate the breach will cost the company as much as $1 billion.

Explore further: Judge approves $450 mn deal in Apple ebook suit

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Sony CEO apologizes for massive data breach

May 06, 2011

(AP) -- Sony Corp. Chief Executive Howard Stringer apologized for "inconvenience and concern" caused by the security breach that compromised personal data from more than 100 million online gaming accounts.

Sony apologises for breach, boosts security

May 01, 2011

Sony on Sunday apologised for a security breach that compromised millions of users, and said it could not rule out the possibility that credit card information was stolen.

Sony PlayStation network users face password change

May 01, 2011

Users of Sony's PlayStation Network will have to change their passwords, the Japanese entertainment and technology giant said Sunday as it looks to boost security after its system was hacked.

Sony battles to regain trust after data breach

May 13, 2011

Japanese entertainment and technology giant Sony faces a battle to regain the trust of millions of consumers after online networks integral to its strategy were hacked, say analysts.

Sony removes data posted by hackers

May 07, 2011

Sony said Saturday about 2,500 customers' names and partial addresses stolen by hackers had been discovered posted online as it struggled to recover from the biggest-ever Internet security break-in.

Recommended for you

Dish restores Turner channels to lineup

Nov 21, 2014

Turner Broadcasting channels such as Cartoon Network and CNN are back on the Dish network after being dropped from the satellite TV provider's lineup during contract talks.

'Call of Duty' blasts past $10 bn in sales

Nov 20, 2014

Blockbuster military shooter video game "Call of Duty" has blasted past $10 billion in lifetime sales, propelled by demand for the latest installment in the 11-year-old franchise.

Square's point-of-sale service goes global

Nov 20, 2014

Financial services startup Square is taking aim at cash registers across the globe, making its point-of-sale software available internationally in English, Spanish, French and Japanese.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.