Alcatel-Lucent loss narrows in 1st quarter

May 06, 2011 By GREG KELLER , AP Business Writer

(AP) -- Alcatel-Lucent SA said Friday its net loss narrowed sharply in the first quarter compared with a year earlier, when a components shortage caused the telecommunications gear maker's losses to balloon.

Paris-based Alcatel-Lucent said in a statement that rising demand for across the globe that lifted sales at the end of last year has continued into 2011.

It reported a net loss of euro10 million ($14.8 million), down from euro515 million a year earlier, and confirmed its financial guidance for this year.

Adjusted - its preferred measure for profitability - is expected to rise to above 5 percent this year, compared with 1.8 percent in 2010.

The company said years of restructuring following the 2006 merger of Alcatel of France and U.S.-based Lucent have begun to pay off.

Shares in Alcatel-Lucent sunk in early trading on the Paris stock exchange, falling 4.2 percent to euro4.11.

Chief Executive Ben Verwaayen called the first quarter performance "a strong start to the year," and forecast further improvement over the rest of the year.

"Market momentum remains robust, driven by demand for more capacity and service capabilities in many geographies," Verwaayen said.

Alcatel-Lucent's sales grew 15.2 percent to euro3.74 billion, with growth particularly strong in North America, its largest market.

Sales there grew 40 percent to euro1.56 billion in the first quarter, boosted by demand from phone companies who are upgrading their networks to cope with growing demand for like the and BlackBerry.

Alcatel-Lucent, which has its North American headquarters in Murray Hill, New Jersey, has struggled for years to return to profit, with total losses since the company's trans-Atlantic tie-up now topping euro9 billion.

Further restructuring in the first half of last year offset a return to profit in the second half, leaving Alcatel-Lucent's full-year net loss at euro334 million. Verwaayen has pledged to return the company to annual profit this year.

supplies telecommunication carriers such as AT&T, Verizon and France Telecom. It competes with European rivals such as LM Ericsson AB of Sweden and Nokia Siemens Networks of Finland.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Alcatel, Lucent pull trigger on big merger

Apr 03, 2006

Sunday's merger of France's Alcatel and U.S. telecom manufacturer Lucent will be finalized in six to 12 months, assuming regulatory approval is granted.

Verdict spares Microsoft $358M in patent damages

Sep 11, 2009

(AP) -- A federal appeals court said Friday that Microsoft Corp. does not have to pay Alcatel-Lucent $358 million for patent infringement because of problems with how the damages were calculated.

Alcatel-Lucent announces Internet contract in China

Jul 21, 2010

French-US telecom equipment maker Alcatel-Lucent said on Wednesday it had been chosen by mobile operators China Mobile and China Telecom to install a fiber optic network in China enabling high-speed Internet ...

AT&T picks Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson for network

Feb 10, 2010

(AP) -- AT&T says it has picked Alcatel-Lucent and Ericsson to supply the equipment for its next wireless network, which will provide faster data speeds starting next year.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

12 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.