Nintendo says 3DS sales weaker than expected

Apr 26, 2011
A Nintendo employee displays a portable videogame console with a 3D display called the "Nintendo 3DS" at a conference in Tokyo 2010. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said Tuesday sales of its new 3DS handheld game player had been weaker than expected in the US and Europe, as well as in Japan where the quake hit consumer sentiment.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said Tuesday sales of its new 3DS handheld game player had been weaker than expected in the US and Europe, as well as in Japan where the quake hit consumer sentiment.

The 3DS, the world's first video game console with a 3-D screen that works without special glasses, went on sale on February 26 in Japan and hit the shelves in the US and Europe in the last week of March.

"Sales of the 3DS have been weaker than expected since the second week of launch in the US and Europe," even though the first week was solid, Iwata said at a briefing for investors, Dow Jones Newswires reported.

Nintendo had been hoping the device would reverse its sliding fortunes in an increasingly crowded market.

The entertainment giant said Monday it sold 3.61 million of the portable players, short of its forecast of four million.

Nintendo also said it would unveil its new Wii 2 console at the E3 Expo in Los Angeles in June.

The original with its motion-controller proved a hit with families, selling 86 million units since its 2006 debut, although it has seen a steady decline in recent years in the face of competition from traditional rivals such as Sony and Microsoft and the entry of Apple into the gaming market.

Nintendo also said Monday that for the year to March plunged 66.1 percent to 77.6 billion yen ($942 million) and sales slid 29.3 percent to 1.01 trillion yen.

However, the company said it expected sales to surge more than 40 percent over the coming 12 months.

Nintendo said it suffered a serious setback as sales of both hardware and software fell in the United States, Europe and Japan, where the March 11 disasters have seen consumers cut back on non-essential expenditure.

The company said it avoided direct damage to its factories but forecast there could be an indirect impact from consumption patterns or in the future.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Nintendo announces new console but profit dives

Apr 25, 2011

Nintendo said on Monday it would release a new console next year to succeed its popular Wii, as it reported earnings slumped due to the strong yen and its 3D handheld player came too late to give a lift.

Nintendo sinks into the red for first half

Oct 28, 2010

(AP) -- Nintendo sank to a first-half loss, the first in seven years, as a rising yen and long-delayed release for its 3-D gaming machine set the scene for a weak full-year result.

Nintendo looks to restore magic with 3D console

May 07, 2010

Nintendo on Friday brushed off suggestions its magic may be fading despite declining sales of its Wii console, as it prepares to unveil a handheld 3D device it hopes will drive a new gaming revolution.

Nintendo chief rules out Wii price cut for now

Oct 29, 2010

(AP) -- Nintendo's president said efforts to boost Wii sales ahead of Christmas will focus on limited deals in cooperation with retailers and special packages that add game software or other products to give ...

Nintendo profits sink on Wii woes

Oct 29, 2009

Nintendo Co. revealed Thursday a plunge in profits and slashed its full-year forecasts as sales of its blockbuster Wii video game console take a dive in the absence of hit new games.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

22 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.