Audio pioneer Sidney Harman dead at 92

Apr 13, 2011
Sidney Harman (L) and Jane Harman pose for photographers at Kennedy Center Hall of States in Washington, DC, 2009. Sidney Harman, who bought Newsweek magazine last year and merged it with The Daily Beast website, died on Tuesday, his family announced. He was 92.

Audio pioneer Sidney Harman, who bought Newsweek magazine last year and merged it with The Daily Beast website, died on Tuesday. He was 92.

Harman, who was married to Jane Harman, a former member of the US House of Representatives from California, died in Washington of complications from acute myeloid leukemia, the Harman family said in a statement.

Harman, who was born in Montreal but grew up in New York, built a fortune estimated at $500 million by Forbes magazine through Harman International Industries, which makes high-quality audio and other products.

After majoring in physics at New York's City College, Harman joined the engineering department of David Bogen Co., a firm that made public-address sound systems, in 1939, according to his company biography.

Harman and Bogen chief engineer Bernard Kardon left the company in 1953 and put up $5,000 to launch their own firm, Harman Kardon.

They produced the first FM tuner in 1953 and the first stereo receiver, the Festival TA230, in 1958.

Harman sold his share in Harman Kardon but bought it back and went on to acquire JBL, another maker of audio products.

Harman sold the company again -- to Beatrice Foods for around $100 million -- in the 1970s to become the undersecretary of commerce in the administration of US president Jimmy Carter.

After leaving the administration, he bought Harman International back from Beatrice for $55 million. Harman Kardon had been sold to a Japanese company in the meantime and Harman was only able to reacquire his flagship in 1985.

Harman became chairman emeritus of the company in 2008 and devoted much of his time and money to his philanthropic activities, which included the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington and the Aspen Institute think tank.

In a surprise move last year, Harman bought money-losing Newsweek from The Washington Post Co. for one dollar while also assuming the magazine's debts, estimated to be in the tens of millions of dollars.

Harman combined the magazine with news and blog site The Daily Beast and named Tina Brown, The Daily Beast founder and a former editor of The New Yorker, as editor-in-chief of the new media entity.

Harman was executive chairman of The Newsweek Daily Beast Co. at the time of his death.

Brown, in an obituary of Harman in The Daily Beast, described him as "a magical man, full of intellectual curiosity and a desire to see Newsweek reflect the pursuit of ideas.

"We very quickly formed both a great editorial relationship and a warm personal friendship," she said. "I shall miss him tremendously."

Explore further: As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Recommended for you

As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

6 hours ago

The Sony hacking attack continues to deliver more dramatic plotlines than any fictional movie, but meanwhile the movie studio must move forward and tackle the next steps in minimizing the mess. Will Sony ...

It's down to the wire for online shopping

9 hours ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.