Motorola Solutions, Huawei settle IP dispute

Apr 13, 2011
Convention attendees pass by the Motorola booth at a convention in Las Vegas in January 2011. Motorola Solutions and China's Huawei Technologies have settled their legal dispute, the companies said Wednesday, paving the way for Motorola to complete a deal with Nokia Siemens Networks.

Motorola Solutions and China's Huawei Technologies have settled their legal dispute, the companies said Wednesday, paving the way for Motorola to complete a deal with Nokia Siemens Networks.

Motorola last year agreed to sell its wireless network business to NSN, a joint venture between Finland's Nokia and Germany's Siemens, for $1.2 billion but the deal was held up by the legal tussle with Huawei.

Huawei, a former Motorola partner, had asked a US District Court in Illinois, where Motorola has its headquarters, to block the transfer of Huawei-developed wireless and core network communications technology to NSN.

In January, Judge Sharon Johnson Coleman issued a temporary restraining order barring Motorola from turning over confidential Huawai intellectual property information to NSN.

Motorola sued Huawei in July, alleging it used Motorola employees to secure detailed about its equipment.

In a joint statement Wednesday, Motorola Solutions and Huawei said they have agreed to settle all pending litigation and withdraw all claims.

The settlement will allow Motorola Solutions to transfer its commercial agreements with Huawei to NSN for an unspecified fee, the statement said.

It will also allow NSN to "receive and use Huawei confidential information to service the networks Motorola deployed worldwide using Huawei's products and technologies," it said.

"We regret that these disputes have occurred between our two companies," Motorola Solutions president and chief executive Greg Brown said. "After reviewing the facts, we decided to resolve these matters and return to our traditional relationship of confidence and trust."

Guo Ping, Huawei's executive vice president, said the Chinese company "acted properly and above board at all times and developed its products independently and without the use of any Motorola .

"With the resolution of these cases, and the misunderstandings put to rest, Huawei is pleased to move forward with its efforts to provide innovative solutions to its customers," the executive said.

Motorola split into two companies -- Motorola Mobility and Solutions -- on January 4.

Explore further: Tycoon Branson backs ride-sharing service Sidecar

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Huawei sues Motorola over IP transfer to NSN

Jan 24, 2011

China's Huawei Technologies Co. sued Motorola on Monday to prevent confidential Huawei intellectual property information from being allegedly transferred to Nokia Siemens Networks.

Motorola barred from turning over Huawei info

Jan 25, 2011

A US judge has ordered Motorola not to turn over any confidential information from China's Huawei Technologies Co. to Nokia Siemens Networks as she examines a lawsuit filed against the US telecom giant.

China's Huawei wins injunction against Motorola

Feb 23, 2011

(AP) -- Chinese telecom equipment maker Huawei has won a preliminary injunction from a U.S. court barring Motorola Inc. from transferring business secrets in a planned deal with Nokia Siemens Networks.

Nokia Siemens delays Motorola purchase

Mar 09, 2011

Finnish-German giant Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) said Wednesday its purchase of Motorola's wireless network infrastructure assets would be delayed again, with no timeline specified for completion of the deal.

Clearwire adds Chinese company to supplier list

Aug 11, 2009

(AP) -- Huawei, a Chinese company that is edging into the U.S. market for telecommunications gear as a competitor to Motorola and Alcatel-Lucent, has scored another contract win.

Recommended for you

German court lifts ban on Uber car pick-up service

15 hours ago

The controversial but popular car pick-up service Uber claimed a victory in Germany on Tuesday when a court threw out an injunction levelled against its operations in Europe's biggest economy.

Oligarch buys Russia's most popular social media (Update)

17 hours ago

A media company owned by Kremlin-friendly oligarch Alisher Usmanov has splashed out $1.5 billion to gain full control of Russia's most popular social network, VKontakte, bringing an end to a months-long dispute ...

User comments : 0