Huffington Post, AOL face lawsuit from blogger

Apr 12, 2011 By BARBARA ORTUTAY , AP Technology Writer

(AP) -- A blogger and labor activist has filed a lawsuit against AOL and the Huffington Post for not paying freelance bloggers while benefiting financially from the content they create.

Jonathan Tasini's suit, filed Tuesday, seeks class-action status on behalf of more than 9,000 writers and other and asks for at least $105 million in damages.

The suit names Huffington Post co-founders and Kenneth Lerer as defendants. AOL bought the Huffington Post for $315 million last month, which Tasini said prompted the lawsuit.

The suit claims the Huffington Post has been "unjustly enriched" by luring contributors with the prospect of exposure but keeping the financial gain from their articles.

AOL said the lawsuit is without merit.

"As we've said before, our bloggers use our platform - as well as other unpaid group blogs across the web - to connect and help their work be seen by as many people as possible," said spokesman Mario Ruiz in a statement. "It's the same reason hundreds of people go on TV shows to promote their views and ideas. HuffPost bloggers can cross-post their work on other sites, including their own."

But Tasini's lawsuit claims that the Huffington Post sets an "artificially low price" on the content its unpaid contributors create by not sharing the profits it brings, "depressing the market for such content."

Tasini started blogging for the in 2005 and stopped in early 2010. His lawsuit says he created 216 pieces of content for the website.

The suit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Consultants sue HuffPo, say site was their idea

Nov 18, 2010

(AP) -- Two Democratic political consultants say The Huffington Post's founders stole their blueprint for the popular news-and-views website, and they're suing to get what they say is their rightful credit - and money.

Huffington Post rebuffs union boycott call

Mar 19, 2011

The Huffington Post rebuffed a union boycott call over its practice of using unpaid bloggers, saying most of them are "thrilled to contribute" despite not being paid.

Readers, bloggers sound off on Huff Post sale

Feb 13, 2011

When The Huffington Post was sold to AOL last Monday for $315 million, its founder, Arianna Huffington, was feted as a new media pioneer. Not everyone is celebrating, however.

NY Times, Huffington Post exchange barbs

Mar 11, 2011

The gloves are off between a pair of Old and New Media heavyweights. Bill Keller, executive editor of the venerable New York Times, and Arianna Huffington, founder of brash newcomer The Huffington Post, exchanged ...

Huff Post closes deal to join AOL

Mar 07, 2011

The Huffington Post officially joined AOL Monday, celebrating with the announcement that it had nabbed reporters from The New York Times, Yahoo!, and even Rupert Murdoch's new iPad newspaper The Daily.

Layoffs expected after AOL's Huff Post buy

Mar 04, 2011

AOL's acquisition of The Huffington Post news and opinion website will trigger layoffs, the Internet company's chief executive Tim Armstrong said Thursday.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

3 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

8 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

9 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

23 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.