Google accused of unfair trade in S. Korea

Apr 15, 2011
South Korea's top two Internet companies filed complaints with the antitrust watchdog Friday over Google's alleged practice of stifling competition in the local mobile phone search market.

South Korea's top two Internet companies filed complaints with the antitrust watchdog Friday over Google's alleged practice of stifling competition in the local mobile phone search market.

Daum and NHN Corp told the Korea Fair Trade Commission (KFTC) that Google exploited its position as developer of the Android mobile operating system to have its search function preloaded on local smartphones.

They said this limited access by local search engines to smartphones using the Android operating system.

"Through a marketing partnership with major smartphone producers, Google has prohibited other market players from pre-installing their search window or related applications," NHN said in a statement.

NHN's Naver has a market share of around 56 percent of the domestic mobile search market while Daum had around 16 percent as of last month, NHN said, citing market research data.

"Google's market share in the local internet only accounts for around 2 percent but due to such an unfair act, its share in the mobile market is fast rising in Korea, and it stands at around 15 percent," a NHN spokesman said.

Google denied the accusations, asserting that it has never pressed device manufacturers or mobile operators to use its mobile platform.

"Android is an open platform, and carrier partners are free to decide which applications and services to include on their Android phones," it said in a statement.

It said Google regularly enters into business agreements where carriers can choose to pre-install Google mobile services including a search function.

"But we absolutely do not require carriers or manufacturers to include Google Search on Android-powered devices. We look forward to working with the KFTC to address any questions they may have."

Android smartphones sold in South Korea provide the as a default.

South Korean search portals complain that this makes it inconvenient for phone owners to switch to a different search window.

Explore further: 2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Google expects Android to 'flourish' in China: CFO

Mar 15, 2010

Google expects its Android mobile operating system to "flourish" in China, Google's chief financial officer said Monday amid a two-month standoff with Beijing over Web censorship and cyberattacks.

Recommended for you

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

9 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

15 hours ago

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

Atos shares soar after Xerox acquisition

18 hours ago

Shares in French tech firm Atos soared nearly five percent on Friday as traders cheered the news it had bought the IT wing of Xerox for more than $1 billion.

User comments : 1

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

SmaryJerry
not rated yet Apr 15, 2011
"Through a marketing partnership with major smartphone producers, Google has..." Okay. Two companies made an agreement between eachother and now your upset it's not you, NHN?

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.