Boston hospital performs 2nd full-face transplant

Apr 26, 2011

(AP) -- Doctors at a Boston hospital have performed the nation's second full-face transplant, less than a month after the first.

A team of more than 30 doctors, nurses and other staff at Brigham and Women's Hospital worked for more than 14 hours last week to replace the full facial area of 30-year-old Mitch Hunter, of Speedway, Ind.

The procedure replaced Hunter's nose, eyelids, lips, facial animation muscles and the nerves that power them and provide sensation. Hunter suffered his injuries from a high-voltage electrical wire following a 2001 car accident.

The donor family requested anonymity.

The lead surgeon, Dr. Bohdan Pomahac, said the procedure went smoothly and they expect Hunter to have a successful recovery and new life.

A Texas construction worker received a new face at the hospital last month. About a dozen face transplants have been done worldwide, in the U.S., France, Spain and China.

The world's first , a partial face transplant, was done in France in 2005 on a woman mauled by her dog. The nation's first, also a partial, was at the Cleveland Clinic in 2008.

The Boston hospital has placed on a waiting list for a face and hands transplant Charla Nash, the Connecticut woman mauled by a friend's chimpanzee two years ago.

Explore further: AMA: Gender inequality still exists in medicine

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Texas man gets first full face transplant in US

Mar 21, 2011

(AP) -- A Texas construction worker horribly disfigured in a power line accident has undergone the nation's first full face transplant in hopes of smiling again and feeling kisses from his 3-year-old daughter.

Second face transplant in US performed

Apr 10, 2009

Surgeons in Boston have performed the second-ever partial face transplant in the United States, replacing some 80 percent of a disfigured man's face.

Recommended for you

New medical device to make the mines safer

Nov 21, 2014

Dehydration can be a serious health issue for Australia's mining industry, but a new product to be developed with input from Flinders University's Medical Device Partnering Program (MDPP) is set to more effectively ...

US family gets $6.75 million in Botox case

Nov 20, 2014

A New York couple who said Botox treatment of their son's cerebral palsy left him with life-threatening complications and sued its manufacturer won a $6.75 million verdict from a federal jury on Thursday.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.