BlackBerry maker: UAE policy would apply to others

Apr 17, 2011

(AP) -- The maker of BlackBerry devices says it has been told that any new restrictions imposed by Emirati authorities would apply to other smartphones too.

The regulator has said it may limit access to the highly secure Enterprise Server, a system used by many international companies. Individual customers and organizations with fewer than 20 users wouldn't have access.

Device maker said in an emailed statement Sunday is has been in direct contact with the United Arab Emirates' telecommunications regulator. It says it's been told any policy change would apply to the whole industry and affect "all enterprise solution providers" - a reference to phones tied to corporate email accounts.

Explore further: 2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Indonesia joins countries mulling BlackBerry ban

Aug 04, 2010

(AP) -- Indonesia said Wednesday it is considering following the lead of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates in banning BlackBerry services, adding to pressure on device maker Research in Motion Ltd. ...

India says no BlackBerry solution so far

Dec 03, 2010

India said Friday no solution has been found to an ongoing standoff over BlackBerry's messaging services, which it has threatened to shut down unless its intelligence agencies can monitor them.

UAE says BlackBerry is potential security threat

Jul 26, 2010

(AP) -- Emirati officials have declared BlackBerry smartphones a potential threat to national security because users' data is stored overseas, where local laws don't apply and where analysts say it could be harder for authorities ...

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

30 minutes ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

1 hour ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

15 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

21 hours ago

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.