Motorola Mobility buys mobile software firm 3LM

Feb 14, 2011
A Motorola store in the state department store (GUM) in Moscow. Motorola Mobility has made its first acquisition since being spun off as a separate company, buying mobile software maker Three Laws Mobility in a bid to expand corporate use of Android phones.

Motorola Mobility has made its first acquisition since being spun off as a separate company, buying mobile software maker Three Laws Mobility in a bid to expand corporate use of Android phones.

Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

Three Laws Mobility, known as 3LM, develops mobile enterprise security and solutions and mobile device management products for Google's operating system.

Mobility, which split off from parent company Motorola on January 4 to become a separately traded entity, has been betting on Android handsets to power its bid to return to the ranks of leading mobile phone makers.

Motorola said in a statement that 3LM's technology is designed to enable the adoption of Android devices by businesses and governmental entities.

It said it expects to begin selling device management services using 3LM software in the second half of 2011.

"With 3LM, we are excited to be able to work across the Android ecosystem to accelerate the adoption of Android devices by corporate users and their IT departments," said Christy Wyatt, a Motorola Mobility corporate vice president.

Canada's Research In Motion, maker of the Blackberry, leads the enterprise smartphone market in the United States.

Motorola Mobility shares were down 3.76 percent at $29.97 in mid-day trading on Wall Street.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Motorola says separation on track

Jul 01, 2010

Motorola said Thursday it was on track to split into two separate companies next year, one focusing on handsets and the other on professional safety equipment.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

11 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

16 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

17 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.