Huawei leaves US deal's fate to Obama

Feb 15, 2011

China's Huawei said Tuesday it would not back down after a US panel voiced security concerns about the firm's acquisition of US computer technology, shunting the issue to President Barack Obama.

The Chinese tech giant said its image would be hurt if it complied with a request by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) to go back on a $2 million deal last May in which it acquired computer firm 3Leaf Systems.

"CFIUS asked us to withdraw from the regulatory review and sell patents, but in light of the possible further damage to the brand and reputation, we have been compelled to decline," Huawei said in an e-mailed statement.

The decision not to back down means Obama himself must decide whether the firm must reverse the deal, the Financial Times reported, calling it a "highly unusual move".

The report cited experts as saying that Huawei's decision to resist the advice of CFIUS, which vets deals on security grounds, was "virtually unprecedented" and in most cases when companies are quietly advised to walk away, they have done so.

"We have great respect for and trust the fairness and impartiality of the US government and American due process and we welcome the next step in the 3Leaf transaction review," Huawei said.

The move puts Obama in a difficult position after last month's state visit by Chinese President Hu Jintao to the United States. US officials have also been lobbying Beijing to give US tech firms greater market access.

But lawyers said Obama, who has 15 days to make a decision, was likely to uphold the decision by the Committee on Foreign Investment, the report said.

Huawei, founded 23 years ago by Ren Zhengfei, a former People's Liberation Army engineer, is at the forefront of Chinese companies' efforts to shift from being the world's workshop to becoming creators of genuine global brands.

Its consumer products include that run on Google's platform and technology to connect laptops to the Internet using 3G networks.

Huawei's technology is also used to build mobile phone networks around the world.

Huawei has long rejected claims that it has ties to the Chinese military. It says it is owned by its employees and that Ren, its chief executive, has less than a two percent stake in the company.

However, in a letter to Commerce Secretary Gary Locke and Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, a group of top lawmakers accused Huawei of having "ties with the People's Liberation Army, the Taliban, and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard."

3Leaf makes software that allows computer resources to be reallocated according to a user's needs across a computer network.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Huawei sues Motorola over IP transfer to NSN

Jan 24, 2011

China's Huawei Technologies Co. sued Motorola on Monday to prevent confidential Huawei intellectual property information from being allegedly transferred to Nokia Siemens Networks.

Sprint axes China's Huawei, ZTE on security grounds: WSJ

Nov 06, 2010

Sprint Nextel is excluding China's Huawei Technologies and ZTE Corp. from a multi-billion dollar contract to upgrade its cellular network largely because of national security concerns in Washington, The Wall ...

Eyes on Huawei-Nortel broadband deal

Feb 02, 2006

Nortel's decision to tie up with China's Huawei Technologies to develop broadband access is seen as a good deal for the Canadian telecommunications group. Yet some industry analysts are questioning whether the same could ...

Motorola barred from turning over Huawei info

Jan 25, 2011

A US judge has ordered Motorola not to turn over any confidential information from China's Huawei Technologies Co. to Nokia Siemens Networks as she examines a lawsuit filed against the US telecom giant.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

8 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

13 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

14 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.