China's Huawei wins injunction against Motorola

Feb 23, 2011 By JOE McDONALD , AP Business Writer

(AP) -- Chinese telecom equipment maker Huawei has won a preliminary injunction from a U.S. court barring Motorola Inc. from transferring business secrets in a planned deal with Nokia Siemens Networks.

The order by a federal judge in Chicago on Tuesday prohibits , which is a vendor of equipment, from transferring any confidential information about the Chinese company pending resolution of the dispute.

Huawei Technologies Ltd. filed a lawsuit last month saying Motorola's proposed $1.2 billion sale of its network equipment business to , a Finnish-German joint venture, would improperly transfer those secrets to a competitor.

The case highlights the growing global presence of Chinese companies and their efforts to compete in technology markets. Huawei is one of the world's biggest makers of telecom gear, with sales of $28 billion last year, but has struggled to gain a foothold in the U.S. market against rivals such as Inc.

Motorola agreed last year to sell its network equipment division to Nokia Siemens Networks but completion of the acquisition has been delayed while Chinese anti-monopoly regulators review it.

The ruling by U.S. Sharon Johnson Coleman noted that Motorola proposed providing former employees who transfer to Nokia Siemens Networks with access to confidential Huawei information. It was not a final decision but the judge said Huawei had a "reasonable likelihood of success" in showing its business would be harmed.

A Huawei spokesman welcomed the decision and said it hoped to resolve the dispute so the Motorola sale could proceed.

"We have no interest in stopping the transaction between Motorola and our direct competitor," said spokesman Ross Gan in a statement. "We will, however, do whatever is required to protect the product of our company's many years of innovation."

Last week, Huawei agreed to scrap its purchase of a small U.S. computer company, 3Leaf Systems, after a government security panel refused to approve the deal.

In July, Motorola filed a lawsuit accusing Huawei of trying to steal trade secrets. Huawei denied the allegations.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

More information: Huawei Technologies Ltd.: http://www.huawei.com

5 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Huawei sues Motorola over IP transfer to NSN

Jan 24, 2011

China's Huawei Technologies Co. sued Motorola on Monday to prevent confidential Huawei intellectual property information from being allegedly transferred to Nokia Siemens Networks.

Motorola barred from turning over Huawei info

Jan 25, 2011

A US judge has ordered Motorola not to turn over any confidential information from China's Huawei Technologies Co. to Nokia Siemens Networks as she examines a lawsuit filed against the US telecom giant.

Chinese telecom giant calls off US deal

Feb 21, 2011

(AP) -- A major Chinese telecoms equipment maker is scrapping its effort to acquire a U.S. computer company after a security panel refused to approve the deal.

China appeals to US for fairness in security probe

Feb 17, 2011

(AP) -- China appealed Thursday to Washington for fairness as American officials decide whether to block Chinese telecom giant Huawei's purchase of a U.S. computer company on security grounds.

Clearwire adds Chinese company to supplier list

Aug 11, 2009

(AP) -- Huawei, a Chinese company that is edging into the U.S. market for telecommunications gear as a competitor to Motorola and Alcatel-Lucent, has scored another contract win.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

17 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.