Bing search gaining ground on Google: comScore

Feb 12, 2011
A Microsoft's staff member demonstrates maps using Bing at an exhibition in Las Vegas. Industry tracking firm comScore on Friday reported that Microsoft's Bing gained ground on Google in the lucrative Internet search market in January.

Industry tracking firm comScore on Friday reported that Microsoft's Bing gained ground on Google in the lucrative Internet search market in January.

Google continued to dominate, handling 65.6 percent of "explicit core" online queries, but Bing's share grew about a percent from December while Google's slid by about the same amount.

About 16.1 percent of US online searches were done at ! websites, which are powered by Bing. Bing's handling of 13.1 percent of searches brought its total share of the load to 29.2 percent.

Ask accounted for 3.4 percent of explicit core searches, followed by AOL Network with 1.7 percent, according to .

Nearly 17 billion online searches were conducted in the United States in January, with tending to 11.1 billion of them, comScore reported.

Explore further: Belarus tightens control over online media

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Microsoft tops Yahoo! in search in August: Nielsen

Sep 14, 2010

Microsoft's Bing and other Internet search services overtook Yahoo! for the first time to become the number two search engine in the United States in August, The Nielsen Co. said Tuesday.

Yahoo! increases US search share, Bing up again

May 11, 2010

Yahoo! increased its share of the US search market by nearly a percentage point in April and Microsoft's new search engine Bing also recorded a slight gain, online tracking firm comScore said Tuesday.

Google ups share of Web search

May 18, 2009

Google increased its share of the US online search market in April while Yahoo! and Microsoft both lost ground, according to figures released on Monday by tracking firm comScore.

Recommended for you

Digital dilemma: How will US respond to Sony hack?

1 hour ago

The detective work blaming North Korea for the Sony hacker break-in appears so far to be largely circumstantial, The Associated Press has learned. The dramatic conclusion of a Korean role is based on subtle ...

UN General Assembly OKs digital privacy resolution

4 hours ago

The U.N. General Assembly has approved a resolution demanding better digital privacy protections for people around the world, another response to Edward Snowden's revelations about U.S. government spying.

Online privacy to remain thorny issue: survey

6 hours ago

Online privacy will remain a thorny issue over the next decade, without a widely accepted system that balances user rights and personal data collection, a survey of experts showed Thursday.

Spain: Google News vanishes amid 'Google Tax' spat

Dec 16, 2014

Google on Tuesday followed through with a pledge to shut down Google News in Spain in reaction to a Spanish law requiring news publishers to receive payment for content even if they are willing to give it away.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.