Motorola barred from turning over Huawei info

Jan 25, 2011

A US judge has ordered Motorola not to turn over any confidential information from China's Huawei Technologies Co. to Nokia Siemens Networks as she examines a lawsuit filed against the US telecom giant.

Huawei on Monday asked a US District Court in Illinois, where has its headquarters, to block the transfer of Huawei-developed wireless and core network communications technology to NSN, which is buying Motorola's wireless network business.

Judge Sharon Johnson Coleman late Monday issued a temporary restraining order barring Motorola from turning over confidential Huawai intellectual property information to NSN.

She did not make a ruling on the merits of the case.

Motorola last year agreed to sell its wireless network business to NSN, a joint venture between Finland's Nokia and Germany's Siemens, for $1.2 billion.

The Huawei lawsuit for "misappropriation of , , and breach of contract" named Motorola Mobility, Motorola Solutions and NSN as defendants.

Motorola split into two companies -- Motorola Mobility and Motorola Solutions -- on January 4.

Huawei, a former Motorola partner, claimed the company has not responded to its requests that Huawei-developed technology not be turned over to NSN.

"If Huawei's proprietary commercial property and information is transferred to a third party, Huawei will suffer irreparable commercial damage," it said.

Motorola Solutions rejected Huawei's claims.

"We believe this lawsuit is without merit," it said in a statement.

"As previously stated, we are targeting to complete the sale of our networks business to NSN in early 2011 following receipt of approval from China's antitrust authorities."

NSN said last month that its purchase of Motorola's wireless network infrastructure assets would be delayed pending approval from Chinese regulators.

On December 15, the gave the green light to the transaction. The deal has also received the approval of regulators in the United States.

Motorola sued Huawei in July, alleging it used Motorola employees to secure detailed about its cellular network equipment.

Explore further: AOL to feed more video, news to Microsoft's MSN

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Huawei sues Motorola over IP transfer to NSN

Jan 24, 2011

China's Huawei Technologies Co. sued Motorola on Monday to prevent confidential Huawei intellectual property information from being allegedly transferred to Nokia Siemens Networks.

Clearwire adds Chinese company to supplier list

Aug 11, 2009

(AP) -- Huawei, a Chinese company that is edging into the U.S. market for telecommunications gear as a competitor to Motorola and Alcatel-Lucent, has scored another contract win.

Briefs: Motorola steps up China investments

Mar 16, 2006

Motorola will be investing in three new projects in China. The venture-capital arm of the mobile group, Motorola Ventures, will be investing in Shanghai NewMargin Venture Capital Enterprise, Shenzhen Shenxun Information Technology ...

Nokia Siemens to buy Motorola wireless gear unit

Jul 19, 2010

(AP) -- Motorola Inc. said Monday that it is selling most of its wireless network division to Nokia Siemens Networks, a Finnish-German joint venture, for $1.2 billion as part of a planned breakup of the company.

Motorola says separation on track

Jul 01, 2010

Motorola said Thursday it was on track to split into two separate companies next year, one focusing on handsets and the other on professional safety equipment.

Recommended for you

What's PayPal's first solo move?

7 hours ago

PayPal's impending split from long-time partner eBay Inc. will ratchet up its appeal to online retail competitors such as Amazon.com and give it the freedom to aggressively take on new mobile pay challeng ...

AOL to feed more video, news to Microsoft's MSN

12 hours ago

AOL will provide Microsoft's MSN with more video and additional news stories from popular sites such as The Huffington Post and TechCrunch in an expansion of a deal aimed at selling more digital advertising.

Microsoft to tap $2-trillion Indian cloud market

16 hours ago

Microsoft announced plans Tuesday to offer its commercial cloud services from Indian data centres as it seeks to tap what it calls a $2-trillion market in the country where Internet use is growing rapidly.

User comments : 0