EU extends deadline for Intel's McAfee deal

Jan 06, 2011

(AP) -- Intel Corp. and security specialist McAfee Inc. have given commitments to help get European Union approval for the U.S. chipmaker's $7.68 billion takeover, European regulators said Thursday.

The , the EU's antitrust watchdog, said that it has extended its deadline for reviewing the deal until Jan. 26 from Jan. 12.

Intel and the Commission declined to comment on the content of the commitments that were made. Intel spokesman Chuck Mulloy said the company "will work with the Commission to address the questions and get the deal done before the second half of the year."

Companies can offer remedies, such as certain asset sales or other commitments, to address potential competition concerns on a deal. The extension of the deadline does not necessarily mean that regulators will indeed require remedies for the takeover to go ahead.

Intel, the world's biggest maker of microprocessor chips, has said that the deal will allow it to sell alongside a raft of new chips it's planning for a variety of devices, from computers, to cell phones to cars.

The Wall Street Journal reported last month, citing unnamed sources, that EU regulators were concerned that by incorporating McAfee's security features into its chips, Intel would make it difficult for other security providers to compete. Intel's chips are currently used in about 80 percent of the world's computers and servers.

The deal, announced in August, would be the biggest acquisition in Intel's history and has already been approved by U.S. regulators. Intel's shares dropped 1.3 percent in morning trading on the Nasdaq.

(This version CORRECTS Corrects Intel's corporate designation. Adds statement, detail.)

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Intel buys McAfee for $7.7B in push beyond PCs (Update 3)

Aug 19, 2010

(AP) -- Talk about a new meaning for "Intel Inside." Intel Corp. wants to be inside your television. And your cell phone. And your car. And pretty much any other device that could one day connect to the Internet ...

Intel says FTC approves McAfee acquisition

Dec 21, 2010

Intel said Tuesday that US anti-trust regulators have cleared its 7.68-billion-dollar acquisition of computer security firm McAfee but the deal is still being examined in Europe.

EU defends action against Intel after report leaked

Aug 08, 2009

The EU Commission on Saturday defended its record-busting anti-trust action against Intel, following a report that it missed evidence which could have boosted the US computer chip giant's case.

Intel, FTC in talks to settle antitrust case

Jun 22, 2010

(AP) -- Intel Corp. and the Federal Trade Commission are in talks to settle an antitrust case against the chip maker, a move that could make it more difficult for rival chip makers to pursue damages.

Intel settles AMD claims but isn't off the hook

Nov 12, 2009

(AP) -- Intel Corp. is paying Silicon Valley rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc. $1.25 billion to squash a legal battle over Intel's sales tactics, a rift that led to antitrust charges against Intel in several ...

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

1 hour ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

6 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

7 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

20 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.