Visa becomes next target for WikiLeaks backers

Dec 09, 2010 By BARBARA ORTUTAY , AP Technology Writer
This screen shot shows the home page of Mastercard.com. Mastercard is having severe technical problems Wednesday, Dec. 8, 2010, possibly a target by supporters of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. (AP Photo/Mastercard.com)

(AP) -- The websites for Visa and MasterCard were inaccessible for parts of Wednesday, likely the result of attacks by WikiLeaks supporters who are angry that the credit card companies had stopped processing donations to the organization.

Both MasterCard and Visa said that cardholders' accounts were not at risk and that people could continue using their credit cards throughout the day.

Supporters of the WikiLeaks, which has released thousands of classified government documents in recent weeks, said they would attack companies and groups hostile to the site and its founder. An Internet group operating under the label "Operation Payback" claimed responsibility for the MasterCard and Visa problems in messages on and elsewhere.

MasterCard's troubles began in early morning Eastern time and by mid-afternoon, its website was once again operational. But the group appeared to be preparing for its next target, Visa Inc., and by about 4 p.m. EST the company's corporate website was inaccessible. The site appeared to be functioning once again after 6 p.m. EST.

Spokesman Ted Carr said Visa's processing network, which handles cardholder transactions, was working normally.

The hacking group Anonymous, known for previous attacks on the Church of Scientology and Kiss bassist Gene Simmons, is distributing software tools to allow anyone with a computer and an Internet connection to join in the attacks as part of "Operation Payback." Such tools are widely available on the Internet and can easily launch a large number of attacks on targeted websites, said Dean Turner from the computer Symantec.

MasterCard acknowledged "a service disruption" involving its Secure Code system for verifying online payments, but spokesman James Issokson said consumers could still use their credit cards for secure transactions. Consumers can use credit card companies' websites to find information about the cards, but applying for one and accessing existing accounts are done through the banks that issue the cards.

The credit card companies' troubles took place the same day of attacks on websites for Swedish prosecutors, the Swedish lawyer whose clients have accused founder Julian Assange of sexual crimes and the Swiss authority that froze Assange's bank account. Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor and Republican candidate for vice president, said her political action committee's website also came under attack from WikiLeaks supporters.

Besides Visa and MasterCard, a string of U.S.-based companies - including Amazon.com Inc. and eBay Inc.'s PayPal - cut ties to WikiLeaks amid intense U.S. government pressure. In a statement, PayPal confirmed that its website has been attacked, which at times slowed the site down but did not "significantly" affect payments.

In a statement, MasterCard said its systems have not been compromised. Earlier Wednesday, the company said the problems appeared to be "the result of a concentrated effort to flood our corporate web site with traffic and slow access."

Such an attack, known as a denial of service, is analogous to thousands of people all calling the same phone number at once, resulting in busy signals for the few who are legitimately trying to get through.

The term "hacktivist" is now widely used to describe politically motivated hackers such as the WikiLeaks supporters, said David Perry, global director of education at security company Trend Micro. Earlier this year, an Ohio college student was sentenced to 30 months in prison for hacking into the websites of conservative pundit Ann Coulter and of former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani.

Operation Payback itself appeared to run into problems Wednesday as many of its sites went down. It was unclear who was behind the counterattack. And Facebook banned the group's page from its site, saying in an e-mailed statement it takes action on content that "promotes unlawful activity." Spokesman Andrew Noyes would not comment on whether Facebook banned any individual users and pointed out that the page does not violate the company's policies and remains up.

On Twitter, Operation Payback's site also appeared to be suspended Wednesday evening. A Twitter spokeswoman said the company had no comment.

A British judge sent Assange to jail on Tuesday, denying bail after he vowed to fight efforts to be extradited to Sweden in a sex-crimes investigation.

Explore further: Facebook 'newspaper' spells trouble for media

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Hackers strike at MasterCard to support WikiLeaks

Dec 08, 2010

(AP) -- Hackers rushed to the defense of WikiLeaks on Wednesday, launching attacks on MasterCard, Swedish prosecutors, a Swiss bank and others who have acted against the site and its jailed founder Julian ...

WikiLeaks founder is jailed, secrets still flow

Dec 08, 2010

(AP) -- WikiLeaks published a new set of cables Wednesday, and in a defiant message posted online the secret-spilling website promised that the leaks would keep on flowing despite the arrest and jailing of ...

WikiLeaks dropped by domain name provider

Dec 03, 2010

(AP) -- WikiLeaks' American domain name system provider, EveryDNS, has withdrawn service to the wikileaks.org name after the secret-spilling website once again became the target of hacker attacks.

WikiLeaks website kicked off Amazon's servers

Dec 01, 2010

(AP) -- Amazon.com Inc. forced WikiLeaks to stop using the U.S. company's computers to distribute embarrassing State Department communications and other documents, WikiLeaks said Wednesday.

Assange's may surrender to British police

Dec 06, 2010

(AP) -- Julian Assange's lawyer was arranging to deliver the WikiLeaks founder to British police for questioning in a sex-crimes investigation of the man who has angered Washington by spilling thousands of ...

Recommended for you

YouTube goes online for second Music Awards

Nov 20, 2014

The YouTube Music Awards are undergoing an overhaul for their second edition next year, scrapping a star-studded gala and instead looking at videos' online buzz.

User comments : 1

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

StarDust21
not rated yet Dec 09, 2010
good job, keep it up. Don't let internet freedom fade away

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.