Taiwan approves huge hi-tech investment in China

Dec 17, 2010

Taiwan's government on Friday gave the green light for a plan by the island's leading flat panel maker AU Optronics Corp. to invest three billion US dollars in China.

"The Commission approved the case since it meets relevant regulations governing investment on the mainland," the commission said in a statement.

The application, which was submitted to the government eight months ago, proposes the construction of a liquid crystal display plant in eastern China's Kunshan city.

The decision came as five Taiwanese flat panel makers, including AU Optronics, were slapped this week with huge price-fixing fines by the European Commission, a move the island's government feared will hurt the industry.

The plan has also attracted special attention as it is seen by many as a barometer of the government's relaxation of long-standing restrictions on high-tech investment by local companies in China.

relaxed the rules earlier this year, but local high-tech firms such as AU Optronics still need to keep more advanced technologies at home when applying to invest in China.

Taiwan's opposition has repeatedly warned against easing controls, fearing closer economic integration will cost jobs as the island loses out to China's cheaper workforce.

But Taiwan's high-tech businesses have increasingly called for the rules to be relaxed, pointing out that their competitors from and Japan have been stepping up activity in China.

Ties between and China have improved markedly since President Ma Ying-jeou came to power in 2008 on a Beijing-friendly platform.

Explore further: 2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

1 hour ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

2 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

15 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

22 hours ago

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.