Motorola mobile division expects first quarter loss

Dec 02, 2010
The new Motorola i1 smartphone is displayed at the International CTIA Wireless 2010 convention at the Las Vegas Convention Center in March 2010. US handset maker Motorola said it expects to ring up another loss in its mobile phone division next quarter.

US handset maker Motorola said Wednesday it expects to ring up another loss in its mobile phone division next quarter.

"We expect a loss in in Q1," Motorola co-chief executive Sanjay Jha told financial analysts, although he said he expected it would be "significantly improved from a year ago."

As for the current quarter, Jha said it is "proceeding quite well."

Motorola's mobile phone division reported a 20-percent increase in revenue to two billion dollars last quarter and an operating loss of 43 million dollars compared with an operating loss of 216 million dollars a year ago.

Motorola Mobility, the mobile phone division, is to be spun off from the rest of the company on January 4.

Motorola Mobility will focus on the media, mobility, Internet and computing markets while Motorola Solutions will target next-generation communications solutions to government, public safety and enterprise customers.

Jha said tablet computers such as Apple's popular will present "a very important growth opportunity for us."

"There's a race to the bottom for some players," he said. "You will not see us participate in this race to the bottom."

Jha said investment in building the Motorola brand in Europe was not a priority right now. "I'm slowly building my base in Europe," he said. "I need to get to a much better position financially before I contemplate that."

Motorola enjoyed success with its popular Razr phone launched in 2005 but has been losing ground since to Apple, Canada's , maker of the Blackberry, and other major cell phone manufacturers.

Jha has been counting on smartphones running to help turn around the company's flagging fortunes and Motorola has launched around two dozen Android-based devices this year.

Explore further: It's down to the wire for online shopping

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Motorola says separation on track

Jul 01, 2010

Motorola said Thursday it was on track to split into two separate companies next year, one focusing on handsets and the other on professional safety equipment.

Motorola posts profit, strong sales; stock jumps

Apr 29, 2010

(AP) -- Motorola Inc. posted an unexpected profit in the first quarter, as sales of its new phones outdid its own forecasts. It also gave an outlook that was brighter than Wall Street was predicting, and ...

Recommended for you

It's down to the wire for online shopping

1 hour ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.