First cholera case detected in Dominican Republic: official

Nov 17, 2010

A first case of cholera has been detected in the Dominican Republic, which shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti, Public Health Minister Bautista Rojas said Tuesday.

The patient is a 32-year-old Haitian-born man named Wilmont Lowel who is being treated in a hospital in the eastern town of Higuey, Rojas told reporters. His condition was said to be stable.

Lowel is a construction worker in Higuey who was home in Haiti on vacation before returning to the Dominican Republic November 12.

Dominican authorities had tightened border controls and stepped up health checks in an attempt to stop the disease from spreading from Haiti, where the death toll climbed past 1,000 on Tuesday.

Among the Dominican initiatives has been to search homes and detain people suspected of trying to get across the border without proper documentation and who may be infected. By Tuesday they had detained 170 people, authorities said.

"This really is a serious danger," Santos Ramirez of the Dominican Medical Board warned. " could become a pandemic if it spreads on this side of the island. We must avoid a disaster of that scope."

Higuey is located in the far eastern Dominican Republic, some 140 kilometers (87 miles) east of the capital Santo Domingo.

Explore further: Ebola death toll rises to 5,459: WHO

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Cholera fears spark anti-clinic protest in Haiti

Oct 27, 2010

(AP) -- Protesters threw rocks at a cholera treatment center as it was preparing to open in the city of St. Marc on Tuesday, highlighting the fear surrounding a disease that was almost unknown in Haiti before it began spreading ...

Recommended for you

UN chief: Ebola cases in Mali a 'deep concern'

13 hours ago

The United Nations chief warned Friday that Ebola may be easing in part of West Africa but is still hitting hard in other areas and outpacing the international response.

Ebola death toll rises to 5,459: WHO

19 hours ago

The World Health Organization said Friday that 5,459 people had so far died of Ebola out of a total 15,351 cases of infection in eight countries since late December 2013.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.