RIM 'excited' about UAE market after averting BlackBerry ban

Oct 18, 2010 by Ali Khalil
The maker of BlackBerry launched from the United Arab Emirates on Monday new smartphone technologies in the Middle East, 10 days after averting a ban on its services in the Gulf state.

The maker of BlackBerry launched from the United Arab Emirates on Monday new smartphone technologies in the Middle East, 10 days after averting a ban on its services in the Gulf state.

"I'm so excited about the progress that made in the UAE, and specifically in Dubai," said Jim Balsillie, the co-CEO of (RIM), in a keynote speech at the annual GITEX technology show in Dubai.

He boasted that BlackBerry controls 45 percent of the UAE's smartphones market, and announced a series of cooperation initiatives.

"This is the market that we are so excited about," he said, avoiding any reference to the problem with the UAE's telecom authority, which had set an October 11 deadline for RIM to allow them access to its encrypted data or face a ban.

Balsillie showed off RIM's new model, BlackBerry Torch, as well as its new BlackBerry PlayBook, in addition to its new operating system BlackBerry 6.

He also said RIM was starting partnerships in the UAE to advance e-government services and secure online payments, adding that it was offering local academic institutions teaching materials to provide students the experience of working with BlackBerry solutions.

He was not available to talk to reporters after his speech.

The UAE's Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRA) said in August that BlackBerry instant messenger, email and Web browsing would be suspended because they "allow individuals to commit violations", and cannot be monitored.

But TRA backtracked on its decision only a few days before the deadline, citing "the positive engagement and collaboration of Research In Motion in reaching this regulatorily compliant outcome."

It was not clear whether RIM made concessions allowing UAE authorities access to its servers.

On Monday, TRA director-general Mohammed al-Ghanem said the solution reached with RIM was "final," but declined to say whether RIM made concessions.

"The solution is final... It is not a question of concessions," he told reporters following Balsillie's speech.

"What I can tell you is that the service of BlackBerry is in compliance with TRA framework," he said.

He also boasted of the "strategic cooperation" between RIM and TRA, as well as with the country's two operators Etisalat and Du, which were until recently offering their customers alternative packages, had the ban on BlackBerry gone into effect.

The UAE was the first country to threaten to suspend BlackBerry services over security concerns. Saudi Arabia went on to suspend messenger services briefly in August, before lifting the ban.

The UAE has some 500,000 BlackBerry users, while Saudi Arabia has around 700,000.

India, which has around one million subscribers, last week extended by 90 days a 31 October deadline given to RIM to provide intelligence agencies with access to its services.

RIM has always maintained that the of BlackBerry were inaccessible.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

India extends BlackBerry access deadline

Oct 12, 2010

India has given BlackBerry maker Research In Motion (RIM) an extended deadline of January 31 to provide its intelligence agencies a way of accessing all its services, a report said Tuesday.

Saudi BlackBerrys still online as 'talks progress'

Aug 07, 2010

BlackBerry users in Saudi Arabia said messaging services remained online on Saturday despite a ban, as a mobile phone company reported progress in talks with the smartphone's Canadian makers.

RIM unleashes BlackBerry Torch to take on iPhone

Aug 03, 2010

Research In Motion (RIM) on Tuesday unveiled a BlackBerry Torch to take on the hot-selling iPhone, avoiding comment on a plan in the United Arab Emirates to snuff out data service there.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

5 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.