Times Co. posts 4.3 million dollar quarterly net loss

Oct 19, 2010

The New York Times Co. reported a quarterly net loss on Tuesday as an increase in digital advertising revenue was not enough to offset declines in print advertising and circulation revenue.

The Times Co. which owns The Boston Globe and International Herald Tribune in addition to the flagship New York Times, posted a third-quarter net loss of 4.3 million dollars compared with a 35.7 million dollar net loss a year ago.

Total revenue fell 2.7 percent to 554.3 million dollars in the quarter as advertising revenue declined one percent and circulation revenue dropped 4.8 percent, the Times Co. said in a statement.

Digital advertising revenue rose 14.6 percent to 78.3 million dollars, partially offsetting a 5.8 decline in print advertising revenue. Online advertising revenue now accounts for 27 percent of Times. Co.'s total ad revenue, it said.

The third-quarter results included one-time charges of 16.1 million dollars related to the sale of a Boston Globe printing plant in Massachusetts and Globe pension obligations.

"Our third-quarter results demonstrate our ability to manage our business amidst both uneven economic conditions and a period of intense transition for our industry," Times Co. president and chief executive Janet Robinson said.

"Although we experienced marketplace volatility, it is clear that advertisers are responding to the opportunities to associate their brands with our high-quality journalism," she said.

"We have remained vigilant in managing our expenses, and we were able to keep our third-quarter operating costs virtually flat with the third quarter last year despite higher compensation costs and newsprint prices," she added.

The Times Co. said it expected print advertising revenue to "improve modestly" during the current quarter and for digital advertising revenue to grow approximately 10 percent.

Circulation revenue was expected to drop another four to five percent during the fourth quarter.

Like other US newspapers, The New York Times has been struggling with a steep decline in print advertising revenue, falling circulation and the migration of readers to free news online.

Earlier this month, the Times Co. said it plans to pay back a 250-million-dollar loan from Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim three years ahead of its due date.

In addition to obtaining a loan from Slim, the Times Co. last year also entered into a sale-leaseback agreement for part of its Manhattan headquarters in a move aimed at raising cash to pay down its debt.

The New York Times last week launched a new application for Apple's iPad and plans to begin charging readers for full access to its website, NYTimes.com, early next year.

Robinson said the Times had made "significant progress toward the upcoming launch of the pay model for NYTimes.com -- building the systems and infrastructure to support the commerce, customer service and product requirements of our cross-platform strategy."

She also said readers referred to NYTimes.com from third-party sites such as blogs, social media and search engines will have access to the Times content "without triggering the gate, which will preserve NYTimes.com's significant reach and advertising inventory."

Times Co. shares were down one percent at 7.96 dollars in early afternoon trading on Wall Street.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Washington Post stems tide of red ink

Jul 31, 2009

The Washington Post Co. reversed its slide and posted a quarterly profit on Friday despite a steep decline in advertising revenue at its flagship newspaper.

US newspaper ad revenue slide continues

Jun 01, 2009

US newspaper advertising revenue fell more than 28 percent in the first quarter of the year with both print and online posting declines, according to the Newspaper Association of America.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

15 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

20 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

21 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.