India's top court cancels bail for IT group's founder

Oct 26, 2010
B. Ramalinga Raju, founder and former chairman of fraud-hit Satyam Computers is escorted from Chenchalguda Jail in Hyderabad in April last year for a court appearance. India's Supreme Court on Tuesday cancelled his bail because of the gravity of the accusations.

India's Supreme Court on Tuesday cancelled bail granted to the founder of IT outsourcing firm Satyam, who is accused of staging the country's biggest corporate fraud.

B. Ramalinga Raju, the former head of Satyam whose declaration that he had falsified profits in January 2009 plunged India's corporate world into turmoil, was ordered to surrender to police by November 8.

The Supreme Court said the gravity of the accusations meant the lower court order of bail "cannot be sustained".

The top court also cancelled bail for four others accused in the case.

Raju and nine others are accused of embezzling around three billion dollars from Satyam, which was one of India's largest outsourcing companies that worked for one-third of the Fortune 500 firms when the scandal erupted.

Raju, who faces a slew of charges including , cheating and forgery, declared in a letter of confession he had overstated profits for years and inflated the company's balance sheet by over one billion dollars.

However, he backed out from the confession letter 18 months later, claiming it was a resignation letter.

Police maintain Raju’s letter was a "voluntary disclosure of fraud".

Raju was given bail on health grounds by a court in the southern city of Hyderabad in August. He has been undergoing treatment for hepatitis at a hospital in the city, where Satyam is based.

India's federal investigating agency, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), argued Raju's bail should be cancelled because he might "influence witnesses" and tamper with evidence.

The also ordered the lower court to complete its trial of Raju by July 31 of next year. The trial is slated to begin on November 2.

Tech Mahindra, a unit of Indian vehicle and farm equipment manufacturer Mahindra and Mahindra, later bought , allaying fears about its survival.

Explore further: As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

India's fraud-hit Satyam seeks delisting from NYSE

Sep 24, 2010

India's fraud-hit software firm Satyam Computers said on Friday it plans to delist from the New York stock exchange as it may not be able to meet the US deadline to file restated financial accounts.

India fraud office to prosecute Satyam founder

Nov 16, 2009

India's fraud office will file charges this month against the founder of outsourcer Satyam after he admitted to falsifying profits in the nation's biggest corporate fraud, a minister said Monday.

India's fraud-hit Satyam posts loss but is on the mend

Sep 29, 2010

India's fraud-hit Satyam announced Wednesday a loss of 27.6 million dollars for the last fiscal year as it reported its first earnings since an accounting scandal pushed the firm to the edge of bankruptcy.

Recommended for you

As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

1 hour ago

The Sony hacking attack continues to deliver more dramatic plotlines than any fictional movie, but meanwhile the movie studio must move forward and tackle the next steps in minimizing the mess. Will Sony ...

It's down to the wire for online shopping

5 hours ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.